Adding Special Characters to the HTML editor

Adding Special Characters to the HTML editor

by Gina Johnson -
Number of replies: 4

I've added a phonetic symbol to my HTML editor. When I save the text a ? appears in place of the character. Any suggestions?

I'm using Moodle 1.9.9 and IE 7.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gina Johnson

Re: Adding Special Characters to the HTML editor

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

This would indicate to me that the character is not included in the charset that is being used by the browser. As far as I am aware, there is no easy answer, unless you create a set of images from the characters you want to use.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gina Johnson

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Can you give an example - which phonetic symbol was it?

Colin is right - all fonts do not support all phonetic symbols but some fonts do support phonetic characters so you can try for example
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/fontlist.htm and paste your character to sample text input box to see which of your local fonts support your phonetic character.

Arial Unicode MS and Lucida Sans Unicode include IPA support and most current computers have (at least one of) these installed. More info about downloading IPA fonts for example from http://www.unc.edu/~jlsmith/ipa-fonts.html

Next step could be to edit your theme css files and change the default font-family to something like

font-family: "Lucida Sans Unicode","Lucida Grande","Arial Unicode MS","Doulos SIL","Charis SIL", "Gentium", "TITUS Cyberbit Basic", sans-serif;

In moodle 1.9.9 you can also (as an administrator) modify the default settings of editor from Administration > Appearance > HTML editor and set Default font-family (in editor) and add new font-families to Font list (fonts seen in moodle 1.9.9 editor font drop-down list)...

Order of fonts is not essential so you can use "Arial Unicode MS" first if you like it more.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Gina Johnson -

The shwa ə  is the phonetic symbol that I would like to use.

Great suggestions! I had hit a brick wall and now I believe I can break through it. THANK YOU!