using forum in seperate groups

using forum in seperate groups

by eda karacelebi -
Number of replies: 10

hello everyone, for 2 hours I am trying to understand seperate groups function in moodle. I have seperate froups but when I set seperate group, the edit, delete or reply buttons can not be seen by the students. I am trying to post a message to forum as a teacher of the group A, And then I am trying to answer this post as a student from group A again, but I cant. If I change the group status and make it no groups, than the buttons seem.

IS it normal or do I have a problem? How can I use forum in seperate groups?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to eda karacelebi

Re: using forum in separate groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As a teacher, choose each group from the dropdown menu and post them a message - then they should be able to reply to that. You need to choose each group and post them a message separately that they can reply to.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Ynt: Re: using forum in separate groups

by eda karacelebi -

As I understand correctly, while creating mu discussion topic, I am choosing my groups then I am adding the message but still I cant see the reply button as a  student..??  I am sory but as I know, the dropdown menu is used for filtering the students answers according to their groups. While creating a discussing topic, it didnt work..

by eda karacelebi -

I made it "visible groups" and this time I can see the buttons but there are 200 students in the course and I want to see them according to their classes so seperate groups is not the correct choice for me. I should find a way to use seperate groups...Please help meee

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: using forum in separate groups

by Deb Streacker -

Thanks you so much Mary!  I appreciate the reply - I am forwarding it to someone else who also had the same question - do you know if this will perform the same way in 2.0?

In reply to Deb Streacker

by eda karacelebi -

Hello again its me. Now I can do what you said marry, it is a little bit latesmile but I can, thank you so much. Now I wonder one more thing: Can I remove the add new discussion button? Because I cant create seperate groups in "single simple discussion" forum type, so I used "standart forum." But this time there is a button.. does anyone have a solution for this?

Re: Ynt: Re: using forum in separate groups

by Angelo Urrico -

Hi Eda,

I don't get it.  We are having the exact same problem that you originally described.  The initial posting by the teacher does already appear for each group but they are unable to reply (when the setting is for Seperate Group).  They are able to reply for Visible Groups.  We need it to be Seperate.  What did you do to resolve the issue?

Thanks, Angelo

In reply to Angelo Urrico

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. The teacher  needs to make a post in every single separate group - then each group can reply. Have they done that?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Angelo Urrico -

She posted once, and then the post automatically appeared for every group already.  But, reply is not available to any students.

In reply to Angelo Urrico

by Mary Cooch -

No -that is why!smile She has to select each group from the drop down menu and then post again just for that group. If she has 5 groups then she has to post five times. Then each group will have their own separate post that they can reply to.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Angelo Urrico -

Mary, thanks for all your help on this.

OK, so I when I created a new "general" Forum from scratch, it worked.  So, if the teacher has the same initial posting for all 14 groups, she may be better off just providing that information outside of the forum otherwise she has to create the posting 14 times.

Meanwhile, I also created a new "simple" Forum and this does not work for this type of forum.