Random questions

Random questions

by John D. Black -
Number of replies: 3

I have QuizPort installed and working. Excellent job, Gordon!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John D. Black

Re: Random questions

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi John,
congratualtions on getting QuizPort installed and working. You're a fast mover!

Well, if you click the help icon on the page where you adda new post-condition, you will see a page like this:

It may not be enirely clear from the above page, but "Random quiz" selects randomly from *all* the quizzes in the QuizPort including thoses that have already been attempted. Actually, "Unseen quiz", "Unanswered quiz", "Incorrectly answered quiz" all select randomly from the quizzes in the unit, but in addition the pick out unseen, unanswered or incorrectly answered quizzes respectively. I think you want "Unseen".

> Is it also possible to have, for example,
> 10 questions and QuizPort use only 5 of them?

No and yes. No, quizport won't let you do five randomly selected quizzes and then regard the unit as finished. Yes, you can put banks of questions into a single JMatch or JQuiz and then use the setting on those quizzes to randomly select a finite number of questions from within the quiz.

Unfortunately, JCross, JMix and JCloze only have one "question" per file, so you can't do randomization with those kinds of quizzes.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by John D. Black -

Oh, yeah ... the Help icon (red face).

Thanks for your good explanation. What happens if I make all post-conditions "Unseen"? Don't I need one quiz to be "End of Unit"? If so, that one might be selected right away, skipping all the other questions.

In reply to John D. Black

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As far as I recall, QuizPort will judge a unit to be completed when ...

• either there is an "End of unit" in one of the post-conditions, and the condition is met
  • or there is no "End of unit" in any of the post-conditions, and *all* the quizzes have been completed

Currently there is no way of specifying other ways a unit might be finished such as ...

• when 5 or more quizzes have a score of 80% or more
  • when the total time spent interacting with the quizzes exceeds 4 minutes and the score is above 60%
  • when the student indicates they wish to finish

I can imagine that any of the above would be desirable, and probably there are other criteria too. I have preliminary plans, ideas and notes on how this functionality could be implemented effiiciently using the current QuizPort conditions database table and code that processes the pre- and post-conditions on QuizPort quiz attempts, but I am not ready to start coding that. In the long-term I hope it gets included at some point.

> If so, that one might be selected right away, skipping all the other questions.

Yes, you are exactly right there.

The best way I have found of handling randomness, is to do it within JQuiz and JMatch.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)