Can't link or use special texts, colors, etc.

Can't link or use special texts, colors, etc.

by Richard Lemmer -
Number of replies: 3

I recently upgraded to 1.1.9 and due to complications encountered in steps from 1.6 I was unable to import my old files. I still have them from the Moodle backup but can't import more than 2MB. So I have begun to rewrite all quizzes and other data. I am now finding a problem that I believe is HTML Editor related.

In the Quiz module I cannot link files for listening. I am also unable to use anything but plain text. No bold, italic, emoticons, etc. When I attempt to use any of these I get an error message and return to the page with HTML Editor now blank. Everything entered has disappeared. Since this is happening in profiles (sporadically) and in forums (most of the time) I don't believe my problem with linking is in the Quiz module, but in the HTML Editor. To be honest, before the upgrades I never had any major problems with Moodle.  Has anyone heard of such things happening?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Lemmer

Re: Can't link or use special texts, colors, etc.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

The main problem might be elsewhere than in editor. This sounds more like a site configuration issue or database issue.

I remember one case from the past where some apache module cleaned or prevented all html tags (can't remember if it was mod_security??? - but I could try to find that old post... ) - only text could be added in editor. Did you change site (name) or is this new moodle 1.9.9 using the same site name as old moodle 1.6.?

Failed upgrading process might be another source of errors. Did you double check all paths in config.php? Was the old moodle 1.6 a fantastico install (database might be non-utf8-migrated or moodledata/uploaddata in a wrong place...).

If you can enable debugging from your site administration menu those debugging messages might tell the actual cause of failures.

In reply to Richard Lemmer

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I checked those old posts and I am 90% sure that your problem is related to mod_security settings. They don't automatically change when you upgrade.

Contact your host and ask if mod_security is enabled - and can the configurition be changed for your site or totally disabled.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Richard Lemmer -

Thanks, Mauno. I did originally install via Fantastico but upgraded to 1.6 manually. There were issues about the location of moodledata/uploaddata with the recent upgrade. Yes, I changed the name this time, too. That was done to try and avoid moodle from looking to the old stuff.

I'll try to check on the debugging and checkon mod_security and have it disabled if possible. Did switch to "globals OFf in the .htaccess file.