Can't give SUBJECT to e-mails sent from within Moodle

Can't give SUBJECT to e-mails sent from within Moodle

by Saurabh Gupta -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I generally send e-mails to my students from within Moodle, using "Participants" web part, then selecting the users, then composing message, then previewing the message, and finally hitting the send button. Surprisingly, there is no "Subject" block in this system, and the default subject line that users get is the starting of message itself. Something like "Dear Students, This is a quick update .....".

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

Saurabh

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saurabh Gupta

Re: Can't give SUBJECT to e-mails sent from within Moodle

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Saurabh,

Why don't you send emails to you students through a Forum? Normally, they receive forum messages as email. In a forum you can put a Subject no problem. I only use the system you describe to send a message to selected students - it's a sort of group instant message. I agree it's not very sophisticated and I hardly ever use it because it leaves no record - I can't prove I've sent them the message.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Lisa Pedicini -

Hi Glenys and Saurabh,

We use the participants' list to send e-mail to a class just as Saurabh does. For us, e-mail and forums are two different forms of communication. Teachers include themselves in Moodle e-mail from the participants list, and so do have a record of what has been sent. We find that students and faculty participating in a forum do not appreciate a deluge of mail, so while we start forums up with everyone initially subscribed, we give participants the option to stop receiving e-mail should they prefer to read forum discusions in situ.

Saurabh--to get around the awkward omission of a subject line in tbe participants' e-mail set up, we treat the first five or so words as the subject line. That is where they appear when the mail is sent.  I have not been able to find documentation on how many characters are converted into the subject line, but it seems to be roughly the first five words.

Other than the absence of a user-set subject line, sending e-mail from the participants' list works well. The text is formatted and the process is quick. A teacher with a participants' list has no need to set up a mailing list elsewhere. The process produces an individual e-mail to each participant, rather than a message with a bunch of CCs and so is robust in that regard.

Regards,

Lisa

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Lisa Pedicini

by Saurabh Gupta -

Thanks Lisa and Glenys,

I would say, both the solutions look correct, depending on the situation and usability requirement. Thanks for your time to post solutions!

Cheers
Saurabh