bitnami stack moodle on laptop i.p. occupied

bitnami stack moodle on laptop i.p. occupied

by ben reynolds -
Number of replies: 5

A month ago, I successfully installed Bitnami Stack Moodle on my Win 7 64-bit computer. When I tried to access it today, it wanted me to login. The login link goes to 198.106.1.106/etcetera which is obviously a private i.p. number on my router.

I need to be able to access my comp’s Moodle both inside and outside my lan (meaning, at home and at work).

The i.p. is currently occupied by another device. Or, at least, mylap can't find it.

How do I make Bitnami Moodle independent of its location? Is this a config.php change?

I posted the above on Bitnami's Moodle forum and was advised to see http://bitnami.org/article/how-to-install-and-make-public-any-bitnami-stack

But that doesn't make sense to me. If I'm at work and my router is at home, having a dyndns domain name isn't going to tell my laptop how to find itself when it's not behind the router.

So, is there some other approach that I'm missing?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: bitnami stack moodle on laptop i.p. occupied

by ben reynolds -

bounce. Should this post find a new forum, or is it so obvious an answer that I should know it?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If it is installed on your local laptop; can you not just point it to localhost instead of an IP address?

In reply to Jon Witts

by ben reynolds -

Jon,

Thanks for your response. That's the thing I'm not experienced enough to know. Just point to 127.0.0.1? or some such?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ben,

If your moodle only needs to be accessible on your local laptop; then YES set it up to point to localhost or 127.0.0.1 (both the same thing...) and you should be able to access it no matter what IP address your laptop gets when you move it from one LAN to another...

Jon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Witts

by ben reynolds -

Jon,

Thanks so much for your help on this.

You are exactly right. The solution is to change this line to

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://127.0.0.1:80/moodle';

WITH the additional note for Win 7 (probably also Vista) users, that you must take ownership of the file (maybe the whole folder) and then restart your  computer before the ownership asctually happens.

I had quite the struggle with Win 7 64-bit UAC