I hope it is not considered off-topic is I post here about what development the OU is planning to do in relation to the quiz module over the next year.
To set the scene, about a year ago, there was a lot of consultation withing the OU about what we wanted from our VLE. This lead to a document called the "Learning systems roadmap" which divided what we want into 10 separate areas. 5 innovation areas, and 5 'mainstream' areas. eAssessment was one of the mainstream areas. (If you are as cynical as me, you would expect a document like this, produced by an institutional committee, to be totally horrendous. Actually, they came up with something surprisingly good.)
Then they decided, for largely financial reasons, that we should try to do everything on the roadmap, and move our Moodle site to Moodle 2.0, all in the course of one year. So, it is certainly an exciting time to be a VLE developer at the OU. My prediciton is that we don't have a hope of getting everything done, but we should get a lot done. I think it is worthwhile to try. I just hope they don't fire us all when we 'fail' to do it all
Anyway, Phil Butcher (project manager) and I have been doing a lot of planning over the last couple of weeks, and we now have a pretty good idea what we are trying to do, so here it is:
- Make Development:Question Engine 2 work on top of Moodle 2.0, and the get it included in Moodle 2.1 - assuming everyone is happy with that.
- Create a whole lot of new question types. This includes
- several variants of drag-and-drop;
- a question type that can grade answers of up to a sentence length;
- a variant of shortanswer/numerical qtype where students can easily enter superscripts and subscripts;
- a question type that allows you to embed applets like the Java Molecular Editor or GeoGebra, the have what the student did graded by Moodle;
- possibly a manually graded question type where the students can recored an audio clip, instead of writing an essay.
- Try to improve the question authroing forms, so they are not so horribly long and complex.
- Try to solve MDL-3030 and related issues - that is the one about dealing with overdue or late quiz submissions.
- Do some work on question import/export, probably wrapping them in web-services, so that if you have an off-line question authoring tool, it can link into Moodle and let you edit questions in the Moodle question bank.
- Make sure the integration of STACK and Moodle works well with Question Engine 2.
I hope you agree that there is a lot of good stuff there.
Can I also take this opportunity to appologies in advance, in case I get a bit tired, and stressed during the course of the next 10 months