Is it possible to access a label's html via a url?

Is it possible to access a label's html via a url?

by Caleb Clark -
Number of replies: 5

Anyone know a way to get to the same HTML one sees in the edit mode of a label via a link? I see labels have an ID which looks unique, but I'm not enough of programmer to get under hood to see if I can get to just their html via some simple URL

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Caleb Clark

Re: Is it possible to access a label's html via a url?

by Carson Tam -

In theory you could view the label by using the label's module ID with the url like this http://moodle.org/mod/url/view.php?id=<module_id>...but I just tried, it returned an error page that says "Can not find data record in database."

So, I guess the answer is no.

In reply to Carson Tam

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Try this:

http://YOURMOODLESITE/course/modedit.php?update=2078&return=0

where 2078 is whatever ID your label is

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Caleb Clark -

Many thanks. That almost worked. What I'm trying to do is make a central resource of Moodle Labels for faculty support How-Tos at my college. I use mostly labels with links, images (absolute links) and videos (embedded from YT) to support faculty in different departments.

Currently I have one course where I make all my labels. then I  import only certain how-tos to certain "Faculty Support Areas" in different departments. But when I change a label in my central library of how-tos, of couse the imported copy doesn't not change. Logically I would like to have things work much more along the lines of a shared bit of HTML that is updated online in one place.

I have successfully experimented with <iframes> in labels and they work great, but I want to only bring in the Label's HTML with the <iframe>, not any navigation.

Obviously I can use Dreamweaver to plop some simple HTML down on server and iframe it into a label, but I was looking for a much more elegant, and usable by non techies, way of drafting and sharing HTML labels from a central source that can be updated in a WYSIWYG. I've tried to isoloate the HTML of a post in a WordPress, or  our Google Apps Sites, or a Google Presentation slide.

I'm not a hardcore programmer, just dangerious enough to break things...

In reply to Caleb Clark

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah right - I  see - hmmm.. I am not sure how or if you could do this in  a standard Moodle - will be interested to see what others say...

In reply to Caleb Clark

by Carson Tam -

I afraid I couldn't see any way around this.  You could write some javascript to hide the navigation stuff...but that's an overkill.

Creating a web page somewhere and have the <iframe> points to it would allow you update the content at your will.  You could use the same stylesheet as your Moodle site to maintain a consistent look.  So you won't be pulling your hair over formatting.

If anyone has better idea, I'd like to know, too.  Thanks.

Hope this help.