Looking for a Developer...

Looking for a Developer...

by Jonathan Bratt -
Number of replies: 3
Hey Everyone, Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong thread but I am a "newbie" and am having some diffculty finding the appropriate thread to post in. Currently, I teach English courses at a small community college and I am interested in hiring a developer who can work with me so that I can use Moodle for all my courses. I am interested in someone who can develep/custumize a theme as I would prefer something very unique (I actually have a template of what I am looking for). I would be most appreciative if anyone can give some advice as to how I can successfully locate a developer and what the approximate costs be for the developer and the actually hosting of the site as I have heard all sorts of figures. Initially, I was thinking of working with one of the Moodle Partners but I thought I would try this forum to see if there is anyone interested in my proposal. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies if I have postd in the wrong forum. For this interested in my proposal, please feel free to contact me at jonathanbratt@rogers.com...Thanks and I eagerly await your replies!!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Bratt

Re: Looking for a Developer...

by William Hamilton -

I'm not a develper and I'm also relatively new, however, let me say this. If you're going to be doing Moodling-- you might as well use the Moodle classroom and people like us to get up to speed on everthing from course design to East PHP 5.3.3. You can get info on theme design on Moodle if you have the time. I think it would help to know your timeline and whether you actually have Moodle up and running and any support at all from an ICT administrator so people can give you good advise. For example, If no ICT support/ little-- maybe an Intranet is better than putting your stuff out on the Internet; There are server issues, e.g., IIS versus Apache (they compete for port 80) so if you want to use Easy PHP 5.3.3 to modify PHP file (and you will, e.g., to modify upload sizes) you must stop IIS (if installed) so Apache will work, etc.. Many things to know but you can get all you need for free/ openware (except Adobe Presenter or Captivate) and information from reading and talking on the forums. You'll need jedit (free PHP, SQL, XML, HTML editor)... I'm a lecturer and course designer at a Maritime Institution and find even ICT personnel/ developers don't really understand entirely what we teachers want when it comes to development-- they speak mostly code and hardware. Iman