Marking student assessments

Marking student assessments

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 2

The old workshop module, I understand, allowed teachers to mark students' assessments. The new one no longer allows it. Instead it automatically assigns a mark to the assessments based on how close their mark is to the average mark for the submission. In practice this has the very undesirable effect that the careful students who pick up errors in a submission that the majority overlook get low mark for their assessments whereas the lazy students who simply mark at random without giving any feedback get very high marks. So I want to go back to marking the assessments myself.

Would it be difficult to put the old marking code back? Why did you take it out in the first place? I can see that it may be convenient to have the automatic marking, but why not have both side by side: automatic marking with the option for the teacher to overrride it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Marking student assessments

by Gustav W Delius -
I am now starting to put teacher assessments of student assessments back into the workshop module. Automatic assessments will still take place but teacher assessments will override them. I have filed bug 2263 for this.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Marking student assessments

by Ray Kingdon -
Good option. The auto grading of assessments came from the Exercise module where the student's assessment needs to be compared with the teacher's assessment. We used to do this by hand but had a set of rules locally to make it consistent. This session I kinda converted those rules into the auto grading of assessments and then ported it into the Workshop module as well.

It's a bit experimental (and controversal) but it was introduced to avoid the horrendous grading load I have in my courses. In one I've got 50 students doing 6 assessments in a couple of workshops. In another course I've got 500 students doing 7 assessments in a workshop. Thus the need for some sort of automation.

But it's good to make it an option.

I did have some code to override the grading grade. I think it's gone now because there were circumstances when the automatic grading routine would just go in later and reset it. Perhaps that facility, if it were made watertight, would be useful. I think the code is still in Exercise (as here two assessments is only compared once) but not in Workshop (as here the same two assessments can be compared many times).