How can i immport hot potatoes exercises to a quiz ?

How can i immport hot potatoes exercises to a quiz ?

by Luis Guadarrama -
Number of replies: 19

Hi there:

I created a set of exercises in Hot Potatoes. Then, in order to import the hot potatoes files within a quiz, I first select the 'hot potatoes format' (within the 'edit' quiz tab) , then I browse for my hot potatoes file (.jcl, or so), and then I try to upload it,  but nothing happens. After clicking on 'upload' it just says: 'Parsing questions from import file'. After that, nothing happens  sad

Any advice please?

Thanks,

Luis

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis Guadarrama

Re: How can i immport hot potatoes exercises to a quiz ?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Has the plugin been properly activated? But then you sound like you have been using the HotPot module before.

Alternatively, what you may want to do is to replace the HotPot module with an updated one. I am certain I have run into this before, or something similar, and that was how it was fixed, but no promises..smile.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Which type of hotpotatoes quiz is it? They don't all work in the Moodle quiz

Edit - sorryjust re-read your post - have I misunderstood? Are you trying to import these into a quiz or into the Hotpot module? Is there a reason why you want to put them in the Moodle quiz and not the Hotpot module (where they would work better)?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luis Guadarrama -

Yes, I am trying to import them into a quiz. The benefits for so is to have just one column in the grade book. I have several quizzes in the course. Anda yes, they work really well into the hot pot module. however, if I go for this choice I would need to include each question separatedly and i will end up having tons of columns in my grade book sad

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Luis Guadarrama -

Hi Colin:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have used hot potatoes  before, and it is already activated propperly.

Well, I have been able to embed hot pot on moodle before. This is not a problem. However, this is an examination for students composed by 4 sections each containing short answers, and gap-fill, questions. I do not want ot put the four sections as a list of quizzes on the main page, whithin a section, where students could take them separately.

What I really want to do is to embed the four sections within a Moodle quiz. For  so, what I tried to do is to import the 4  hot pot quizzes (all of them are .jcl) into a Moodle quiz. All is there to do it, apparently, but by the time I am importing it does not go thorugh sad

The benefits is that if i can do it, I will have just one column in the grade book, instead one for each question. I have 7 units and a quiz at the end of each one.

Thanks,

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Luis,

1.- In Import questions from file / File format did you remember to check the Hot Potatoes format radio button?

2.- When you say "after the Parsing questions from import file message, nothing happens", what do you mean? Is the rest of the page blank? Do you have a kind of "Continue" button or what? To find out more about this you'll need to display more (PHP) error messages. Go to Administration Server Debugging and set debug level to "ALL: Show all reasonable PHP debug messages", try the Import from Hot Potatoes operation again and if any more error messages are displayed please let us know.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm OK I have just checked this and it has all gone smooth for me. So perhaps I am not getting the question. I have updated the hot pot folder and that went well, downloaded the latest version of HotPot and that went in like a dream, created a new quiz and that went well, uploaded it to the Moodle and went through the questions, and checked the gradebook, which also went well.

So, where am I? Thinking that you may be thinking how you can merge all four quizzes to create one for simplifying the gradebook response. You can import the questions, upload the file to the Files area of the course and when you create your quiz, select the Hot Pot option.  It all works as it should for me...

Which brings me to my original post, if it does not import properly to the quiz you are trying to create and you have gone through the proper steps, then there is probably something wrong with the module, but not the HotPot module, the Quiz module, so replace that with a new set of php files.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Luis,

could you tell us which version of Moodle you are using?

Also, if you could attach the Hot Potatoes file to your next post to this forum, that wuld be useful.

If you would like to test the import function on my server you are welcome:

regards
Gordon

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Luis Guadarrama -

Hi Gordon:

Thanks for your reply.

I am using Moodle 1.9

Exercises attached.

I will sue your server and i will let you know what happens.

Thanks so much!

by Luis Guadarrama -

I tried to use your server, but I could not log on. When i click on 'login', it leads me to an empty page sad

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Luis,

I just logged in to Gordon's server no problem. Maybe you didn't realise you had to click on "Course Fullname 101" ? mixed  See below.

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment 07-10-2010 21-15-35.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Luis Guadarrama -

Hi Joseph:

Thanks for your reply (btw, I already sent my files to your personal email as requested).

1. Yes, I made sure I checked out the Hot Potatoes radio button. Also, I was trying to import the .jcl file -not the html one)

2. Yes, other than the 'Parsing questions from import file' message, there is nothing else on the scree. I actuially attached a screen shot.

I will try what you suggest.

Thanks.

Attachment parsin.GIF

by Luis Guadarrama -

Me again. I modified the Debugging stting was you suggested, but no more messages other than the 'Parsing questions from import file.' showed up, though.

by Luis Guadarrama -

Sadly, it looks like the problem is about the type of hot potatoes file i am trying to import (.jcl). I think they are not supported by Moodle. See my files attached.

However, when I import .jqz hot potatopes files into a quiz, there is no problem at all.

I wish I could import .jcl files too. It looks that the only way to achieve my goal is by using the embedded answers (cloze) choice and do my quizzes manually by using the code suggested in this choice sad

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Further to private communication with Luis I managed to import the Hot Potatoes *.jcl files he provided into Moodle's question bank without any problem.

My diagnostic is that something must be wrong with Luis's Moodle quiz import system...

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Luis,
thanks for making your quizzes available.

JCloze files, ".jcl", are supported by Moodle and the goods news is that I was able to to import all your files, using both "Import from file upload..." and "Import from file already in course files...", into the Moodle site on my server. That Moodle site is running Moodle 1.9.9+, i.e. the latest stable Moodle 1.9.

Like Joseph, I think there is something about your Moodle site that is preventing the JCloze exercises being imported.

I noticed that your file names have spaces and non-ascii charaters, so first I suggest you make the following changes to your file names:

• OLD: gramatica 40 puntos.jcl
    NEW: gramatica_40_puntos.jcl
  • OLD: LYico  20 puntos.jcl
    NEW: LYico_20_puntos.jcl (change "Y" to "Y")
  • OLD: Vocabulario 10pts.jcl
    NEW: Vocabulario_10pts.jcl

Also, I agree with Colin that you should update your Moodle scripts, although updating just the Quiz module won't affect the import scripts. The recommended way to update would be to update your whole site to the latest stable Moodle 1.9. Currently that is Moodle 1.9.9+.

Then try the import again.

If it stops after "Parsing questions from import file." then there is probably an error message somewhere.

If , as Joseph suggested earlier, you have already set Moodle Site administration -> Server -> Debugging -> "Debug messages" to "Developer" and enabled "Display debug messages", and no error message is being displayed, then I suggest you check the web server logs or PHP logs and try to find out why the import script has apparently stopped half-way through.

Please let us know what happens after you rename the files, update your Moodle site and re-try the import.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Luis,

the following page shows that the HotPot -> Quiz import script for Moodle 1.9 has had a few changes in the last year or so.

It is likely that some of the changes that were made will affect the issue you have reported. Therefore, please upgrade and report back.

thanks
Gordon

by Luis Guadarrama -

Thanks so much for all the valuable advice!

by Luis Guadarrama -

Hi Joseph:

Just to thank youfor all the gentle support.