Category sort order - inconsistent

Category sort order - inconsistent

by Michael Woods -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers

Hi,

I've noticed that when creating or modifying an assignment, that the 'Grade Category' drop down menu sorts the categories alphabetically. Not only do I think this is confusing for complex gradebooks (with potentially similarly named categories split up by different parent categories), but it is inconsistent with the other occurrences of picking a category from a menu, where it is sorted as it would appear in the 'Categories and Items' screen. The other places you can pick a category is when creating a new category, and when moving selected items to a new category via the 'Move selected items to...' menu. Both of these menus sort as you would expect.

I've looked at the code in lib/gradelib.php that does 'asort($cats, SORT_LOCALE_STRING);' but commenting it out leaves the categories unsorted (or in the order that they were entered). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could change to make the menu consistent? Our teachers are finding this menu pretty confusing! If not, I'll go ahead and create a tracker for it.

Thanks!

Michael