Moodle 2 installation script timeout

Moodle 2 installation script timeout

by Andreas Gounaris -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

Im facing this issue in a Plesk environment when trying to perform a fresh install of Moodle 2.0 RC1.

After the initial screens selecting databace connection and environment check, there goes the database preparation and the browser waits. Then after 2 minutes aprox, instead of seeing the usual db tasks as they're completed, I get Internal Server Error 500.

The access.log displays the HTTP 500 error:

109.242.90.70 - - [04/Oct/2010:19:13:12 +0300] "GET /moodle/admin/index.php?agreelicense=1&confirmrelease=1&lang=en HTTP/1.1" 500 1099 "http://diadrastikon.hilabs.com/moodle/admin/index.php?lang=en&agreelicense=1" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10"

and the error log displays:

[Mon Oct 04 19:14:43 2010] [warn] (110)Connection timed out: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request function

After that, the database has from 50-65 tables created, not the same number every time (and yes, I've tried many).

My hosting provider says this error usualy comes from the client, but I doubt that it happens in my case.

Should I try to experiment with set_time_limit ( secs ) in moodle/admin/index.php where the timeout occurs?

Is it something else you guys might know?

THanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andreas Gounaris

Re: Moodle 2 installation script timeout

by Andreas Gounaris -

Please Help help help!

No way I can do Moodle 2.0 RC1 installation. Script times out with a fastCGI error from mod_fcgid module.

After the environment check, it rests with a server 500 error. ([warn] (110)Connection timed out: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request function)

After some searching, I've found that setting IPCConnectTimeout 20 IPCCommTimeout 300 might do the job (in secs) in httpd.conf

Having no access to httpd.conf, I tried the .htaccess approach with no luck:  "AllowOveride not allowed here" message, so I guess the use of .htaccess is not an option.

PHP supportis set to run as FastCGI application and FastCGI support is checked in Plesk control.

I've searched more and found this:

-------------------

Running a PHP script under mod_fcgid was causing a 500 error to be returned.  The error logged was:

mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 40 seconds
(110)Connection timed out: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request function

There is a 40 second default on the script running.  To fix this for the requirement we needed to modify the vhosts.conf file for the Plesk domain and put in:

<IfModule mod_fcgid.c>
ProcessLifeTime 7200
IPCCommTimeout  7200
IPCConnectTimeout 300
</IfModule>

And rebuild the configuration file with: /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/websrvmng –reconfigure-vhost –vhost-name=domain

----------------

Do you have any idea what is this?

I'm completely lost. I have so much work to do, going crazy with that. Even if I have to change provider, I got to know what should I ask for support.

Any help will be appreciated, somebody must know something.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Andrea,

Sorry I don't have any answers, however I'm just going to move your discussion thread to the testing and QA forum where hopefully a 2.0 expert will be able to help.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Andreas Gounaris -

Thank you so much Helen,

I was starting to believe I was talking to myself :/

Have a nice time,

ag

by Andreas Gounaris -

I found the following link, quite enlightening I beleive

http://www.moe.co.uk/2010/04/12/mod_fcgid-ap_pass_brigade-failed-and-premature-end-of-script-headers/

It is still on provider's hands...

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Andreas,

although I do not have experience with mod_fcgid (that is a way how PHP is integrated with the web server at you provider's server), I guess you will ask them to increase the execution time limit for your Moodle scripts.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Andreas Gounaris -

Thanks David,

I did that, they answered they can't do that in a shared host environment risking other client's performance and this makes sense to me.

I told them to propose an alternative, they said they'll try to do the installation themselves. I'm waiting for them but, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure they'll make it without my help and they didn't ask so far.

So, what I'm trying to do now, cause I'm running out of time,  is a local install, a DB dump and an import to the public server. The same for moodledata folder.

I just finished that and now I'm stuck with the login page. The server does not recognize my admin credentials. I think I've seen some posts dealing with this issue here, I'm looking for a solution now.

I'll be glad if you have an answer. It will save me a couple of hours.

Thanks anyway

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you use the cli install opiton.

(Sorry, that is probably to terse to be helpful, but it might be the answer.)

by Andreas Gounaris -

I DID IT.

After some quite many and painful hours, I have Moodle 2.0 on production.

The solution to my install timeout issue related to fcgid configuration was simply not to run the install script. Did it locally and then migrated it (config.php + moodledata + mysql dump). Then I had a problem logging in due to invalid credentials, and I used the forgot password link to change it.

A golden rule is to set a valid email address during the local install. Thus, you get the new (reset) password by email.

Thanks for helping

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Απάντηση: Re: Moodle 2 installation

by Γεωργία Αναγνωστάκη -

I am a new  user of moodle and i have to install version 2 because i have this exercise to complete for my university. i have windows xp on my pc and i would be grateful to tell me wich is the easiest way to install it. thank you.   pm: i have tried with xampp 1.7.4, easyphp , wamp.