Quickest way to credit Forum Posts (1.9)

Quickest way to credit Forum Posts (1.9)

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 3

Given a course where credit is given for a "quality forum post each week", what is the quickest way to allocate credit for these?  Students man actually make several posts.

If you set forum grading on, it doesn't tell you a particular student has already 'passed' or has tried and not passed.

I deally I'd like to give credit any time, anywhere.  Eg, if I am reading new posts on a Thursday, just to tick off posts that fit the bill as I go.

Any ideas?  I have searched a little through the plugins, but I couldn't quite find a suitable search term.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Quickest way to credit Forum Posts (1.9)

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Derek,

The way I deal with this is to create a two-item scale: Not OK and OK. I don't actually use Not OK, if I did it would show what you want those who have tried but weren't up to the standard.

See an example below where Intros and Forum 1 are both forums.

Cheers
Glenys

Oo! Using the new text editor for the first time. What a thrill. Cool Oh! the smileys are different!

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Derek Chirnside -

I appreciate this reply Glenys.

On reading the forums to do your grading etc etc, you have no way of knowing that person X in actually OK - you need to refer to the gradebook??  So: I presume you have the gradebook open in another window and just check back to this??

I'm trying to avoid this.  But I can live with it.  It's the large courses that are a problem.  The one I am looking at has 130 students.  Will use groups.

Also: you have the problem of one graded forum one column, you can't combine the results of several forms without jiggery pokery in the combining of columns.

-DerekCool

Wow, just noticed every image I have ever uploaded here is available.  And I can insert an image!!

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Derek,

I don't really uderstand what you mean by this: "On reading the forums to do your grading etc etc, you have no way of knowing that person X in actually OK - you need to refer to the gradebook??  So: I presume you have the gradebook open in another window and just check back to this??"

When I'm doing my grading, I'm just looking at the forum and clicking on "OK" (just like we can click on "Useful" in this forum). I can see that my "OK" is registered. I look at the gradebook from time to time to see the students who don't have an "OK" at the time they should have replied in a given forum, and so contact them to see what's up.

You can put all your forums in one category which will show a total grade for that category.

I've just started using the non-standard ForumNG (developed by Sam Marshall for the Open University) and find it far superior to the native Moodle ones. For example, you can see all the posts in one forum open on one page, either with all the posts expanded, or not. When you're replying to one message, you can see all the messages in the discussion and not just the previous one. Saves me a huge amount of time.

Cheers,

Glenys