moving moodle

moving moodle

by David Gilbert -
Number of replies: 4
I need to move my working Moodle system to a new server with a different IP address.  I have copied all my Moodle, PHP and SQL to the new server. PHP is running as is Mysql. If I type in the new address of my new server moodle seems to work.  If I try to go to localhost, no moodle, If I try to go to my domain address, my website does not appear.  Are there some settings I need to change in my various config files??

Thanks for a great resource.

Daveg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Gilbert

Re: moving moodle

by Bob Boufford -

Dave,

Can you give exact steps to how you migrated Moodle to the new server? And when you say "type in new address" is that the IP address or the web address? Is the new server registered in your ISP's DNS?

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by David Gilbert -
hi Bob,

was beginning to think I was being ignored, but Moodle help is there again!

I set up EasyPHP on my new machine, which has an ip address of 192.168.1.3.  I then copied  all my  easyPHP directory across to my new server, this included the www directory.  I also copied all my moodle data across.  I am using Dynamic DNS to resolve my Dynamic IP my original ip of my old machine is 192.168.1.2.  Config.php is set to resolve www.dijgilbert.com.  I then shut down my old server and set PHP and MySQL running on new machine,  I also set up my Dynamic DNS running and this shows it is resolving my external address.   When  I try to see my  moodle site by going to localhost, I get my front page, but no links within that page are resolved.
Shout if you need any more information.  My Moodle site is running at the moment, but on my old server  www.dijgilbert.com.

Thanks

Dave

In reply to David Gilbert

by Bob Boufford -

Dave,

When you copied the easyPHP directory across, is the path an exact mirror of the old system? I suspect it might be the copying of the easyPHP across systems. Did you try installing a fresh copy of Moodle on top of the existing copied directory?

When I migrated recently from Linux to Windows, I followed the basic instructions listed in various other messages:

1. Make a backup of the mySQL database. (I used PHPMyAdmin)

2. Install AMP (Apache/mySQL/PHP) on new system. (I use XAMPP on both)

3. Restore mySQL database to new system (again used PHPMyAdmin)

4. Copy the MoodleData directory to the new server

5. Install a fresh copy of Moodle on new system

( I think this is the right sequence, pulling from memory right now)

It sounds like you have the same setup I have with a router and DynDNS.org to maintain a web address to a dynamic IP address of the router. Once I got Moodle set up on the new Windows server, I rarely access it from the server but work from another system on the internal network using the external web address.

Since you are doing a migration, you might want to look at going with XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) Slightly less "Windows user friendly" with installation but not difficult at all. XAMPP does not use the Windows registry like easyPHP or the straight Apache install, so it's easier to move the XAMPP directory between systems with the same exact OS. And XAMPP is being maintained with the latest updates to Apache, PHP and mySQL.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by David Gilbert -
Hi Bob,

Thanks for all your help.  I tried your suggestions, but with EasyPHP.  Still no joy.  So I changed the IP addresses of my internal machines so that new machine had same IP as old machine old machine had a new IP and it works.  I tried to find where the IP address is referred to in my PHP directory, but can not find it.  The IP address is obviously embedded somewhere in the settings.

Thanks again

Dave