allowing pupils to choose 'other' as an answer

allowing pupils to choose 'other' as an answer

by susan golding -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everybody

I have written a moodle questionnaire for my year group to complete and wonder if somebody could give me some advice.  A number of the questions are multiple choice and pupils are given a list of answers to choose, one option being 'other'.  Is there any way, that if pupils choose 'other' that a box will appear for them to type their answer?

For example:

Who do you live with?

Mum

Dad

Brother/Sister

Other

Thankyou

Susan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to susan golding

Re: allowing pupils to choose 'other' as an answer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Susan,
Have you read the online help for the radio button question type? It states:

You may enter “!other” on a line to create an optional fill in the blank option. An !other box defaults to using the prompt Other:, (or the equivalent translation for Other in the current language being used). You may change this default prompt by using the format: “!other=prompt text” as shown in Example #3 above.
Your example:
Question text:
Who do you live with?
Possible answers:
Mum
Dad
Brother/Sister
!other=Other
See attached screenshot for result.
Hope that helps,
Joseph
Attachment image01.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by susan golding -

Thanks for your response.  Your example is exactly what I want to do but am still unsure how to do this.  Apologies, I am a complete novice with Moodle. 

I now know that I need to choose the check boxes option as I want the pupils to be able to choose multiple answers.  I then clicked on add another line and typed in "!other=prompt answer".  When I view the questionnaire I just see this as an option with no optional text box.  Please could you help me realise what I am doing wrong.

Many thanks

Susan

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
It looks like you are using a very old version of Questionnaire. Which version of Moodle are you using?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by susan golding -

The school is using Moodle 1.8.6

by Joseph Rézeau -
That explains. I'm afraid the version of Questionnaire for Moodle 1.8 is no longer maintained. I would strongly advise you to upgrade to Moodle 1.9 (and to the corresponding version of Questionnaire, which has been greatly enhanced).
ATB
Joseph