Hide Category from Students

Hide Category from Students

by Tom Ramsden -
Number of replies: 7
I am currently in the process of making a Moodle site for both Students and Teachers.

I have set up several subject areas for the Students which is all good and well, but now I need to create a Category which is only obtainable by Staff.

Is it possible to do this at all?

I know that it is possible to enrol Staff into the individual Courses within the Category after locking it with an enrolment key. Although ideally I would like the Category itself hidden so it prompts any one who isn't a member of staff with an error message.

Thanks,

Tom.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Ramsden

Re: Hide Category from Students

by Tom Ramsden -
Excuse my noob mistake.

Simply clicking the Eye for that category disables anyone viewing it.

Then adding staff to a specific role with 'See hidden categories' appears to work a treat.
In reply to Tom Ramsden

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No real need to do that with role; you can set "Allow visible courses in hidden categories" to yes in "Administration >Front Page >Front Page settings" which would let you have the staff only courses in a hidden category, password protected with an enrolment key. Once you enrolled your staff into these courses, they would appear on their "My Courses" menu; no need to muck around with roles!
In reply to Jon Witts

by Tom Ramsden -
Oooo, thanks for that Jon.

Just a quick follow up to that solution. Am I right in thinking that if I do it that way it will totally bypass access to the Category page itself for the users?

And instead they'll only be able to view the courses within the hidden category which they're enrolled on, and not the Category page itself?

I have created a grid like system to link in to the categories you see (below), as I don't like pages of text alone.

For Staff I intend to have several boxes leading to the courses for Staff Handbooks, CPD Information, Help Sheets, Health & Safety etc.
In reply to Tom Ramsden

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Umm not too sure on that one.. Give it a go and see what happens! Be sure to let us know though wink

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Tom Ramsden -
I've had a little play around with assigning a test account to different roles.

It appears to work how I had imagined.

So if you hide a Category and place a Course within the Category. Anyone assigned to that Course will be able to get to the Course perfectly fine as long as "Allow visible courses in hidden categories" is checked.

But they won't be able to view the Category page itself unless they have it defined in their role that they can view hidden categories.

Looks like I'll have to go back to my initial plan and duplicate non-editing teacher with the addition of View hidden categories and then alter their roles further within the courses if they need editing rights etc.

(I generally don't trust teachers all that much not to upload a load of crap so I'm keeping it on a tight leash :p)

Thanks for your responses too Jon.
In reply to Tom Ramsden

by rupert mackenzie -

Hi Tom I wonder if you would be able to help with a hidden category, visible course but not being able to upload images since access denied to image library.

Access is fine if the category is not hidden. I want to keep the course development hidden until it is ready that's all.

I would just ftp and adjust the source, but a teacher is creating it without html skills, so do you think there is a way around it at all?

Many thanks for your help,

Ruppey