Classifying activities

Classifying activities

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 42
Hi Ulrike,

I would love to find a tool to make classification exercises easily. I have more or less managed do it in Hot Potatoes but it's a lot of work and the result isn't exactly what I want. Here's an example: Pronunciation of the -ed ending - 1 It isn't in Moodle there but it works fine in Moodle too.

Cheers,
Glenys

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Classifying activities in a table

by Deborah Delin -
Wow Glenys! That is a lot of work! It's pretty nifty though!
Deborah
In reply to Deborah Delin

by Glenys Hanson -
Thanks, Deborah, you're one of just a handful of people who really knows how much work. wink

Cheers,
Glenys

by Ulrike Albers -

Hi everybody !

Glenys, your activity is great smile -  but personnaly, I'm not able to it via drag-and-drop (IE - Firefox) . Nor by typing actually  -but that's because I'm still too bad discriminating big grin

I think it would be really nice to have more flexibility with HotPot... I would love to have this kind of possibility (kind only dead ! - that one only works with IE and was designed for a small screen resolution).

Cheers,

Ulrike

In reply to Ulrike Albers

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Ulrike,

There's a little trick to the drag and drop: you have to double click on the word to select it and then drag it. It's a function of the browser - nothing to do with Hot Potatoes - it works in most browsers, I think, with any word.

But the exercise you link to is really great - though I couldn't get to work in Firefox - it kept telling me to download a plugin.

It's exactly that kind of exercise I'd love to be able to make in Moodle. Any clever coders listening? thoughtful

Cheers,
Glenys

Re: Classifying activities in a tables

by Itamar Tzadok -
I hear you (does that make me a clever coder? wink) I'm actually experimenting with YUI for such activities. One example is a drag&drop ordering question which can be used for "encouraging" students to read the (IMO, often excessive) course readings (see image for illustration). The instructor composes a list of 20-30 paraphrases of certain passages from the text in the order of the passages' appearance in the text. The question displays a random set of 5 paraphrases, shuffled. The student is required to put the paraphrases in order. The more distant the paraphrases are from the actual text, the more attentive the reading has to be. The Moodle based interface allows for creating such a question and then generating the question import code in XML format and any number of instances for variation. Another example is with multiple lists which comes close to the example referred to above. Not ready for sharing yet but hopefully soon enough (the summer is almost over but previous promises still stand). smile
Attachment question-dd-ordering.png
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Itamar,

Yes, I think you're a clever coder but not because you replied to my message - there are plenty of other proofs on these forums. wink

For me, what you show is a different kind (equally pedagogically valid) of exercise: an ordering exercise. I use WebSequitur for that (part of Martin Holmes' TexToys - cheap but not free - which integrates into Moodle via the Hot Potatoes Module or QuizPort) - in fact I use it in almost every sequence of exercises. I'm sure many people would be delighted to have something similar as part of Quiz.

Classifying into categories for me is something different. The student starts with a jumble of items and has to sort them into 2 or more categories. See the screenshot below of a partially completed exercise at the link Ulrike provided at http://www.clipclass.net/variations_clips_avis3.htm I'd like to know how they did it.

I have another example I created with a free application, Linaeus, Magic "e" but it's overly simple. I'd like something a little more sophisticated. thoughtful

Cheers,
Glenys

Attachment 28-09-2010_23-06-54.png

by Itamar Tzadok -
Thank you for kind words Glenys. Classifying into categories is not that far from what I posted above. See image for an illustration of an exercise in which the student starts with a jumble of items and has to sort them into 2 or more categories. In this particular case the categories are true/false. The interface allows the instructor to define category name, background color and items. The items can be anything, from text to embedded video clips. The instructor can also add distractors. Currently categories are displayed in columns but it shouldn't be too difficult to make the design flexible enough so as to create something like Ulrike's example. But again still experimental I'm afraid. smile
Attachment question-dd-classification.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Itamar,

Yes, that is very much the sort of thing I'm looking for - but is it possible to determine that what is put in right-hand column depends on what has already been put in the left-hand column in the same row? A bit difficult to put into words but I hope the screenshot makes it clear.

Cheers,
Glenys
Attachment 29-09-2010_11-57-52.png

by Itamar Tzadok -
This is just a matter of from which row you look at the column. In the example above the pairs are divided between two lists, that is, two columns. But if each pair is in a column and the A/B classification is across rows this should be doable. This is a different layout of the exercise but I don't think it is less effective than the original above. Here is a rough illustration:

words to move

• can
  • fate
  • cane
  • fat
A
B

mad
made

mat
mate

What do you think? smile

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Itamar,

No, it doesn't matter whether it's vertical or horizontal.
The finished exercise would look like this:

Words to move:          

A mad mat fat can
B made mate fate cane

or like this:

Words to move:          

A can mad mat fat
B cane mate fate fate

or any other permutation of the columns.

How many rows and columns are realistically possible?

I have an exercise in which 96 words have to be classified into 18 categories presented in a specific way. Doable or not? I've put a screenshot of what the "answer" looks like on paper.

I have others, but I think this is one with the maximum number of items and categories I've thought up... so far. wink

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment 30-09-2010_11-44-47.png

by Itamar Tzadok -
In your examples the order of items in the categories seems to matter (mad-made, can-cane, fat-fate, etc.) What role does that play in the exercise?

If the order matters, would it work for you, if the order remains the responsibility of the user, that is, the question allows entering the items in the wrong order but the response will be marked incorrect?

The limit is only an issue for a generic UI for creating such a question.

smile

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Itamar,

I'm not sure if I understand your questions.

In the short exercise, what is important is that the learners realise that the final "e" changes the sound of the preceding vowel. It doesn't matter if they do them in the order (mad-made, can-cane, fat-fate, etc.) or (can-cane, fat-fate, mad-made, etc.) or (fat-fate, mad-made, can-cane, etc.) or any other permutation.

"Would it work for you if the order matters but remains the responsibility of the user, that is, the question allows entering the items in the wrong order but the response will be marked incorrect?"

If their first answer is "can" in A then they must put "cane" in B.
If their first answer is "fat" in A then they must put "fate" in B.

Does this answer your questions?

In the long exercise, that kind of pairing is not so important. Logically, they should have done the first exercise before the long one and so have already understood the final "e" rule. It would be sufficient that a word be considered as correct if placed in any positon in the category.

It's just wonderful to have found a coder interested in working on this. smile

Cheers,
Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -
Fixed order may be an option. It just complicates the question entry form.

The order can be taken care of by the drop regardless of which item the user drags first. So, for instance, suppose the user d&d 'cane' and only then 'can'. Even if the user drops the 'can' below the 'cane', the drop will place the 'can' above the 'cane'. Does that make sense? smile

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi again,

That seems just fine to me. smile

Cheers,
Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -
Could you attach here a (clean) html version of your vowel sound categories? The items of each category should be a bulleted list:

I

• fish
  • Tim
  • pin

smile

by Glenys Hanson -
OK - not sure how long it'll take me- I'll try and do it tomorrow, Saturday.
I'll send it to you privately.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Itamar,

Here's the file.

And belated congratulations on your President’s University-Wide Teaching Award at York University, Toronto. I don't think they've heard of such things in French universities.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -
Thanks and thanks. smile

I will attach in return a question import file from which you can import the question into the question bank. smile

by Carolyn Edwards -

I am so happy that you guys exist! I've been dreaming about this sort of stuff and never thought I'd be capable of building it myself - give me some time to work out how to get a moodle up and running and bumble my way through a few tutorials and help forums, and I'll be here in droves.  All power to you!

by Itamar Tzadok -

Glenys, here is a rough version.

The attached zip contains 4 files:

vowelsounds-question-import.txt
yahoo-dragdrop-min-281.js
dd-classification-ff.js
dd-classification-ff-styles.css

The first file is for importing the question into the question bank. It should import 2 questions. One is a description question which looks empty but actually contains links to the scripts and styles. The other is a cloze question which contains your vowel sounds categories and items.

The othe three files should be uploaded to your site/course files.

After you upload the script and styles files and import the questions you need to edit the description question and adjust the links to those scripts and files. In the description question toggle to html mode and you should see:

<script type="text/javascript" src="../../file.php/306/scripts/yahoo-dragdrop-min-281.js"></script>
<script src="../../file/306/scripts/dd-classification-ff.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<style type="text/css">@import '../../file.php/306/scripts/dd-classification-ff-styles.css';</style>

Replace the red clauses with the path to these files on your site/course.

You can edit the categories table question and add colors, images and what not (I added green background to the first cell for illustration). You can also add, remove or change items. Do not remove the 'Items to move' item.

Add both questions to a quiz and with a bit of luck it will work. smile

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can also add, remove or change items. Do not remove the 'Items to move' item.

Actually you can only change the text of an item but you can't remove or add any items. And there is no 'Items to move' item so don't worry about that part either. smile

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi  Itamar,

Your screenshot below looks exactly what I've dreamt of. big grin

But I'm afraid I don't understand where to put each of these files. What do you mean by "site/course files"? I assume you don't mean the Moodle Files area where I upload documents such as videos or Hot Potatoes exercises.

I have a local installation and I know where to find, for example :

C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\mod\quiz

C:\xampp\data\moodledata\

Sorry to be wet, but I've never done this kind of thing before.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can put these files anywhere that is accessible from your Moodle. The Moodle Files area where you upload documents such as videos is probably the most convenient location. If you upload these files to your Site Files area (from the front page) they will be accessible from all your courses and will be easier to link to as they won't be course dependent. smile

by Glenys Hanson -

Sorry Itamar, but the hand holding isn't over,

I've put the four files:

vowelsounds-question-import.txt
dd-classification-ff.js

in the Moodle Files area.

But maybe I should have put the txt file somewhere else?

"The first file is for importing the question into the question bank. It should import 2 questions. One is a description question which looks empty but actually contains links to the scripts and styles. The other is a cloze question which contains your vowel sounds categories and items." This tells what  vowelsounds-question-import.txt does, right? But I don't know what to do with it.

Thank you for your patience.

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

Only

dd-classification-ff.js

should go to the Files area.

The vowelsounds-question-import.txt you import.

Add a quiz. Go to edit. Go to Import. Select XML format. Select the category (or leave the default). Clear category checkbox. Browse for the file on your computer and upload. See image. smile

Attachment quiz-import-questions.png

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi again,

Slowly getting there.

I've changed your :

<script src="../../file.php/306/scripts/yahoo-dragdrop-min-281.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../../file/306/scripts/DDClassificationFF.js"></script> <style type="text/css">@import '../../

to:

<script src="C:/xampp/data/moodledata/2/Vowel sounds/yahoo-dragdrop-min-281.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="C:/xampp/data/moodledata/2/Vowel sounds/DDClassificationFF.js">

</script> <style type="text/css">@import 'C:/xampp/data/moodledata/2/Vowel sounds/DDClassificationFFStyles.css';</style>

But it doesn't work (I see the exercise but I can't drag and drop).

I don't know how to make relative links like yours.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

You need the url. Go to the files in the Files area. Right click the file name and select 'copy link location'. This should put the url of the file in the clipboard. Now go back to the script tags and paste the url. smile

Attachment files-copylinklocation.png

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Glenys,

The exercise looks great but the words on the right weren't draggable.  I tried in 3 different browsers.  Have I misunderstood?

Deborah

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Deborah and Mary,

Thanks for testing.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

I see that on Mac I can't drag the words when I'm logged in as a guest, but I can when I'm logged in with a student account.

On Windows 7 I can do the exercise on Firefox and Opera even when I'm logged in as a guest, but not on IE 8 or Chrome.

I'm afraid this is a problem for Itamar. mixed

Cheers,

Glenys

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm logged in as a guest and clicked Prévisualisation  0n FF and Win7? (and tried also in IE) Should we go to the other forum?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mary,

For these technical problems, we should really be on the Quiz module forum, shouldn't we?

I see Itamar is online, let's give him a while to see what he thinks.

I've no idea if it's a two-minute or a two-month problem for a coder. thoughtful

Cheers,

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

Well, it's rather a problem for those who use anything I don't. big grin

The drag&drop is by YUI library so it supports any system and browser YUI supports.

The quiz on Glenys' site works for me on a Win XP machine with both Firefox and IE8. smile

by Itamar Tzadok -

Actually it doesn't work for me either in guest account. It seems an issue with guests access to the included scripts and styles files. Glenys, are you sure it works for you in guest account? smile

by Itamar Tzadok -

Actually actually, it does work for my guest on IE8 (Win XP) but not on Firefox. This requires some investigation but I'm inclined to think that it is a Moodle issue rather than anything with the exercise. smile

by Deborah Delin -

I am on Windows XP and tried in IE8, FF & Google Chrome.  I tried when logged in as a guest and as a student and............ the words on the right weren't draggable.

Deborah

by Itamar Tzadok -

Here is a screenshot of the question in a quiz. smile

Attachment soundvowels.png
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Ulrike Albers -

Hi Glenys,

I just came back to this discussion... thank you for that compliment blushing... I know yes it only works with IE technically it's really bad - that's why this discussion is so interesting !
Such a pity you can't add or remove items, we could have used Itamara's great scripts :D

Cheers and THANK YOU for all your ideas...!

Ulrike

In reply to Ulrike Albers

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Ulrike and everybody,

Itamar has done more work on the classifying Quiz andI have added content. It functions more as a test than as an exercise at the moment because all the items in a category have to be placed before the category is scored, but it all works correctly thanks to Itamar's brilliant work.

If you'd like to see it, it's here: Vowel sounds and spelling. The course is open to guests and you can see the exercise by clicking on Preview (Prévisualisation in French). But I think we should continue the discussion over in the Lang Teaching forums because it's not Hot Potatoes or Quizport. Of course, Gordon is too nice to toss us out but...

Cheers,

Glenys

by Deborah Delin -

Not working over here yet.  Windows XP.  Tried on IE8, FF & Google Chrome.

Deborah