Rounding & Overrides in 1.9.9

Rounding & Overrides in 1.9.9

by Mary Beth McKee -
Number of replies: 2
Recently, we upgraded to Moodle 1.9.9+ (Build: 20100707).

It seems there has been a change with how rounding affects scores with an override.

Example
Have an assignment with a 10 point scale, and the student achieves 8/10. In the gradebook, the teacher overrides the score to 8.5.
Since zero decimals are being displayed, it rounds the score to 9. (this I would expect)

New Issue
In the past, I simply adjusted the setting of decimal display from zero to one decimal to accurately display the 8.5 score.
Now, the database seems to have changed the overridden score to 9.0, rather than what was actually entered. The rounding rules determine what score is recorded. The 8.5 is lost forever, and the new override displays 9.0.

Have others seen this issue? I understand that the setting adjusts what is displayed, but the change I see is that the overridden score becomes whatever rounding rules were in place at the time of the override.
In reply to Mary Beth McKee

Re: Rounding & Overrides in 1.9.9

by Elena Ivanova -
I've tested in 1.9.8, and it did not do that. In my case, the gradebook "remembered" the associated percentage 85% properly, thus once I change number of decimals, the display of the grade gets adjusted based on that percentage.
I suspect a bug, but I do not have 1.9.9 to confirm :/
It could be intended change in behavior, but I have not found tickets that would address this.

If you change the grade display settings to show decimals before overriding grades, does it stop doing that? (I assume it does)
In reply to Mary Beth McKee

Re: Rounding & Overrides in 1.9.9

by Bob Puffer -
we're running 1.99, its the LAE version but the libraries for the standard grader report have been unchanged. I don't see this behavior after changing the gradebook setting "Overall decimals" to zero, then assigning a grade to a grade item of 8.5 and updating. The grade displayed is immediately rounded up but the grade recorded in the grade_grades table for that student for that grade item remains 8.5.

I'd consider reinstalling your grade tree.