How are schools handling creating parent users?

How are schools handling creating parent users?

by Jimmy Schwankl -
Number of replies: 2
We have a school that is interested in having parents be able to login to our moodle site and view their students' work/courses. I've added the Parent_Role but am not sure of the best way to go about adding the parents as users.

If you are a school using the Parent_Role, please share how you handled this task. Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jimmy Schwankl

Re: How are schools handling creating parent users?

by Bohumil Havel -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I've implemented Moodle in basic school  and added the Parent_Role.

(see also http://docs.moodle.org/en/Parent_role videos' links are usefull )

You can go by steps:

1. open user profile, users - accounts - browsw list of users / user
  2. open users Roles tab
  3. open Parent_Role and add paretn of user

To parants navigation you have to open Mentees block.

Regard,
Bohus

In reply to Bohumil Havel

Re: How are schools handling creating parent users?

by Jimmy Schwankl -
Thank you Bohumil for your reply.
I will try to clarify what I am asking.

I'm curious how schools that are using the Parent_Role gathered the parent names and created usernames/pw's for the parents.

For the students we took a csv file generated from our student management software for the school district. But how to create usernames/pw's for the parents and get them into moodle is not so straightforward.

Do others out there give User creation rights to teachers and have each teacher add the parents of their students?

Do others give User creation rights to just one very trustworthy teacher at each school?

Does the moodle server administrator have to somehow oversee collecting parent names and email addresses and then create usernames/pw's for them and distribute them to the parents?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.