Text Fields in Gradebook

Text Fields in Gradebook

by James Peploski -
Number of replies: 1
Is there a way to add a "text" column to the gradebook? I would like to have some additional information attached to students which can be downloaded with the grades for statistical analysis (Major, Group, Gender, Lecture Time, etc.)

The information would not be included in any grade calculations, so I do not want them as a "grade item", unless it can be specified that they not really grades.

I have not found a way to include "group" information in gradebook downloads, so I don't think that will work. Besides, I have 600+ students and don't look forward to building groups with each major, group, gender, etc. I'd like to be able to upload information from excel to a gradebook column. Is this possible? I tried uploading a text based column in excel (student major). I asked Moodle to create a new item, but the values were all transferred as "0.0"

Please forgive if this has been covered recently. Forum searches did not return a definitive answer.
In reply to James Peploski

Re: Text Fields in Gradebook

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi James,
If you have a Text Column "Lecture Time", then when you Import, please map to Comments for Lecture Time, not to the Lecture Time itself
Then the text will import OK, but due to the design of the gradebook, it will not show up in the regular Grader Report. It will instead show up in the Feedback area of this grade item, and in the Feedback column in the User report.
The info still can be exported later, if you check "Include feedback in export" checkbox.
Of course, this is not ideal display of the text info smile

Some people do local customizations instead, by adding more fields to the user profile, and later displaying those as columns in the gradebook, similar to Username, First/Last names.