File Size Limits in Repository

File Size Limits in Repository

by Steve Turley -
Number of replies: 10

I have a large file (25.3 MB) I would like to load into Moodle 2.0 2RC1 using the Repository and the local (server) file system.  It's easy to get it into the local file system, but when I try to make it available in a folder as a resource in moodle it gives me an error message saying the file is bigger than the maximum size.

I can't find anywhere in the moodle configuration information about what the size limit is or how to change it.  If I was uploading a file, I would guess that the PHP upload size limits would be an issue (set to 10 MB on my server), but that doesn't seem like it ought to apply for a file already on the server.  Is there an articifical limit being enforced somewhere by moodle?  If so, can it be changed somehow?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Turley

Re: File Size Limits in Repository

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steve,

Just wondering whether the maximum upload size for the course (in the course settings) is preventing you from including the file as a resource in your course?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Steve Turley -

It may be that the PHP upload limit is the problem, but if so that seems like a bad design decision.  I'll test it a little and see if lowering the limit further restricts the files I can add.  The reason I think limiting Repository transfers from local files in this way is a bad design decision is that instructors sometimes need to add data to the course which is larger than the PHP upload limit.  The maximum upload size you can set from inside moodle is limited by the maximum PHP upload size.  Some sites won't have an easy ability to change this.

A work-around for this limitation in pre-moodle 2.0 verions was to transfer the file directly to the moodledata directory on the server and make it accessible from there.  With the new file system, it seems like the equivalent action would be to put the file in a directory on the server and use the Repository to get it into moodle.  If such a transfer is limited by the PHP file upload limit, it is hard to see how users could easily get a file larger than this limit into moodle.

In reply to Steve Turley

by Andrew McKune -

Hiya,

I am having the same problem, i uploaded the file using ftp into my repository and now it won't let me add it into the course due to max limit size.

Did you manage to solve this problem yourself.

Thanks

Andrew McKune

In reply to Andrew McKune

by William Ratto -

Hi,

I hope this helps, let me first say I am NOT a programmer or developer, that being said I just recently upgraded to 2.0 and I have very large video files (25-35MBs), boy did I get a surprise when I tried to ftp/upload them to my server.

Here's what I did and it worked for me.

1. you must have root access to your server. regular cpanel access will not let you make the change. I'm on a VPN so I have access to the root WHM panel.

2.WHM panel>PHP Configuration Editor>switch to advanced mode.

Find these 2 lines/files.
a. upload_max_filesize default 2M change this to larger value
b. post_max_size default 8M this should be a larger value than the above size

I set mine to 40mbs and 50mbs and all my large video files uploaded with no problem.

It worked for me, but please use with caution, again I'm a end user who tinkers alotsmile

How ever you do it, you must change these 2 files.

Hope this helps a little.

I think this is really a problem with 2.0, they must solve the ftp problem and while I'm at it can anyone tell me where moodle saves the uploaded files? I can't locate them.

Sincerely
William Ratto

William

In reply to William Ratto

by Christopher O'Kelly -

Hi guys,

OK so I created a file system repository entirely to get around the php upload file limit... given the usefulness of the standard repository this seems like the only real reason to create a file system repository. Right now my php.ini max sizes are set to 100MB from an earlier attempt to get this particular file uploaded, however I believe that this is outside a limit imposed by PHP. The file I am trying to upload is a powerpoint, 70Mb. It is in the file system repository, however, as per the original poster I cannot add it to anything as I get the file size error. It seems a little counter intuitive, the file is on the server, it does not need to be uploaded. I understand that a php script is likely being used to convert the file for use in the repository, thus the php limitation.

Is there any way to circumvent this? I am a little hard pressed to believe that I am completely unable to get this file onto the server, which is sitting literally metres from me.

In reply to Christopher O'Kelly

by Christopher O'Kelly -

ack, please ignore the above, restarted apache one too few times.

In reply to Christopher O'Kelly

by stephen sefton -

Has this issue got a resolution? (I am using Moodle 2.2 Build: 20120223)

I too have hit a limit. I am able to ftp files larger than the php.ini limit to my server and so put them in a moodle repository but then when adding them to a course using the repository I set up it refuses to "add" the file because of the Max File Limit presumably set in PHP.ini file. The problem is I can't change setting this as I don't have access to the php.ini settings on the server.

So it seems I can ftp a file to the repository but not make it available to a course.

Stephen

In reply to stephen sefton

by Lawrence Furnival -

We are hoping that the linking ability in the file picker in moodle 2.3 will give some releif.

In reply to Lawrence Furnival

by Hernan Jaime -

I've got the same problem with v2.3 and v2.2 as well.

I can't create a SCORM course for that reason.

Please, Is there any solution?

Thanks

In reply to Steve Turley

by Benjamin Ellis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi all,

If you do not want to raise the file upload size limit in the course settings as suggested by Helen, then consider assigning the moodle/course:ignorefilesizelimits capability to the relevant users.   I think its only available from 2.3 though.

Cheers

Average of ratings: Useful (2)