Remove topics numbering

Remove topics numbering

by mudit mani -
Number of replies: 7
Hello everyone
My name is Mudit and I m working using moodle and I want to create courses with topic format but I don't want to give any numbering to the topics how to remove numbering (i.e. 1,2,3...) please tell me.
I am using the menu-rounded theme

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mudit mani

Re: Remove topics numbering

by Ashutosh Taunk -
Hi Mudit,
It is not manageable in Moodle Version 1.9. Though you have to compromise with some adjustments, all you can do is change the course to topic format and keep number of weeks as 1 and keep adding labels and other resources.
For this go to Course> Administration Block> Settings> Format- Topic Format> Number of Topics- 1.
That's it really! Hope it helped.

Regards,
AT
In reply to mudit mani

by Paul Jacobson -
Hello Mudit ~ I'm designing Moodle in Perth, Western Australia. The problem of Topic numbering was causing us a problem too; so this is the easiest solution we found to implement:

<!--/embed--><style type="text/css">#course-view .section .left { color:#FFFFFF; } </style>

We are using a plain white theme; and we simply turn the Topic Numbers to white, making them invisible (unless the Topic is highlighted and the number shows up against the background colour). We are doing this on a course by course basis. If you want change at the system level, there are suggestions if you search for them on this Moodle site.

If you are using a different background colour, find a Code Chart in Google and substitute #FFFFFF with your colour. Visit a site such as http://web.njit.edu/~kevin/rgb.txt.html for the matching code.

We open Topic 0 in Edit and toggle HTML code; and then we place the line of code at the head of everything else where it works its magic on the style sheet.
In reply to Paul Jacobson

by Derek Chirnside -
I'm not sure if this will solve your problem.

I have been thinking about navigation for a client meeting in a couple of weeks. One of my staff made a small video yesterday. Avoiding the scroll of death, and simple uncluttered section titles, with menu navigation.

Under the hood, this needs
  • single section format
  • menu block plugin
But everyting else happens automatically. If anyone would like a login to the site to see it, let me know.

-Derek
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by ben reynolds -
Wow! Nicely done, "One of My Staff"!

A print introduction to either the block or the plugin will be forthcoming in *Top Moodle Extensions* from Packt Publishing. I read it last month.

Disclaimer: I'm a technical reviewer for the above book, and my reward for such is a copy of the book and choice of an other.

Admiration: The folks who build the blocks and the plugins are marvelous indeed!
In reply to Paul Jacobson

by richard wu -
Wow,

I just pasted it in my course and worked a treat. Thanks alot Paul.
In reply to richard wu

by Paul Jacobson -
Even with the Topic numbers hidden, it's still essential to know the Number of a Topic because that is how they are addressed in the URL. So if you want to create a menu block, you have to keep track of the original numbering eg.

href="http://moodle_address/course/view.php?id=number&topic=0" and so on . . .

Cheers, Paul J