Back up fails due to "internal error"

Back up fails due to "internal error"

by Patricia Smiley -
Number of replies: 5
Hi, my moodle is on a shared hosting site with GoDaddy. I love Moodle and what it has done for our Social Studies students in 7th grade. However, when I go to back up the course, I get this error message. I am not that technical - I understand some things and am learning as I go. I would be extremely grateful for any help. I have searched the forums, etc. to the best of my ability. Here is the page and error message I get:

Name: backup-social_studies_1-8-20100915-1458.zip
  • Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Creating XML file
    • Writing header
    • Writing general info
    • Writing course data
    • Writing users info. . . . . . .
    • Writing categories and questions. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    • Writing scales info
    • Writing groups info
    • Writing groupings info
    • Writing groupings-groups info
    • Writing events info
    • Writing gradebook info
    • Writing modules info
      • Assignments
      • Forums
      • Hot Potatoes Quizzes
      • QuizzesHTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:58:21 GMT Server: Apache Content-Script-Type: text/javascript Content-Style-Type: text/css Content-Language: en Cache-Control: private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0 Pragma: no-cache Expires: Accept-Ranges: none Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=97 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

OK

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@supportwebsite.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at teachandlearntogether.com Port 80

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patricia Smiley

Re: Back up fails due to "internal error"

by Patricia Smiley -
Just an update - I spoke to a great support tech at Go Daddy who said to back up the Moodle course using the MySql database file backup function in the hosting center's control panel Database section. If someone has another suggestion, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

by Steve Turley -

This provides a good backup of most of your information, but it won't back up any of the student files or files you've added.  They are stored in a directory on your server.  These can be backed up in several ways, if you have access to the directory where they are stored.  My server is a linux system where I have access to this directory.  I usually use tar and gzip to gather them all together into a single compressed file.  I then use scp to copy them to a different server.

You could do something similar using a Windows sytem.  If you have access to the diriectory where those files are stored, use something like winscp to copy them to your own computer or another server.

In reply to Steve Turley

by Patricia Smiley -
Thanks, Steve, for your answer and your time. I should have mentioned I am using Mac 10.6.4 and my server is a linux system, too. I will follow your suggestion since it's the student files, and in particular, the files I added that are the most important to me. Thanks, again! I appreciate your help.
In reply to Steve Turley

by Patricia Smiley -
Steve, I have been looking for the exact files/directories I need to back up. Can you specifically name them for me? Thanks.

by Steve Turley -
The directory is installation specific. Can you locate the php.inl file in the main noodle HTML directory? It is listed there.