matching question query

matching question query

av robert maran -
Antal svar: 14
Hi,
Is it possible to add "green" checks and "red" crosses to a matching question ( similar to what a student would see if they did a multichoice or T/F question), so after a student clicks "submit", the correct and incorrect matching items are shown? As it is now, only the whole quiz is graded, and a student, after they click on the "submit" button can not determine which matching items they got correct or wrong. They only get a green bar to indicate that all matchings were correct or a yellow bar to show partially correct. ( I realize that this is a "quiz", but if a quiz is being used for practice purposes, some indication of what matching items were correct or wrong would be helpful).

Cheers
Robert
Medeltalet av utvärderingarna:Useful (1)
Som svar till robert maran

Re: matching question query

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bild av Core developers Bild av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild av Plugin developers Bild av Testers Bild av Translators

Hi Robert,

I quite agree with your request for this feature. It can be quite frustrating for the student to have to repeat again and again their attempts without a clue as which pairs they got right.

In this respect the matching question (JMatch) in the Hot Potatoes activity is much better - not to mention its much more ergonomic drag & drop feature. Tim, are we at long last going to have a drag&drop matching question type in Moodle 2.0 or 2.1?

It should not be too difficult to program that feature. On the other hand there may be cases where the present situation is preferred (not showing the correct pairs), so I suggest the following feature. If adaptive mode is ON, then show correct pairs, if adaptive mode OFF, do not show them. OR the displaying of correct pairs could be made a matching question's setting.

Joseph

Bilaga image01.jpg
Medeltalet av utvärderingarna: -
Som svar till robert maran

av Adriane Boyd -
This might be related to a similar problem reported for the drag-and-drop match question, which uses the same underlying code as match, see MDL-21530 and the thread mentioned there. I think that the problem is that the review options are not handled consistently by all question types. Tim wasn't confident about the proposed fix, but if people have time to do some testing with adaptive mode, it might be possible to figure out the right modifications for match (and ddmatch) so that they behave more like the other core questions in terms of the review options.

-Adriane
Som svar till Adriane Boyd

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bild av Core developers Bild av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild av Plugin developers Bild av Testers Bild av Translators

Adriane,

I was not aware of MDL-21530 and how it was related to this discussion: Quiz Type - Changing how the answers are shown.

On my current moodle 1.9.9 version test site I've just removed the condition in line 287

if ($options->readonly and $options->correct_responses)

and the matching question works as expected, see attached.

However I have not tested the consequences on Adriane's drag-and-drop match question.

Tim, what about simply removing that line 287 condition so that the matching question behaves like the MCQ question (in adaptive mode)?

Joseph

Bilaga image01.jpg
Som svar till Joseph Rézeau

av Adriane Boyd -
Whatever the changes are, this code should be identical in match and ddmatch. Nothing about the grading/reviewing logic is different in ddmatch.

av Adriane Boyd -
I'm trying to compare match with other question types to figure out what the review options "answers" and "feedback" should do, but I'm pretty confused. It seems like "feedback" means: show checkmarks/X's and item-specific feedback. What does "answers" mean? Is this documented somewhere?

I also got confused because correct_responses was never set during a quiz attempt, even if I checked "answers". But looking at the quiz code, it seems like correct_reponses can only be set in readonly mode, so "answers" isn't very useful in adaptive mode, which is pretty confusing given the grid of options in the quiz settings. Does "answers" actually do anything in the "immediately after the attempt" column?

Coming back to finding the right if-condition, Tim previously suggested:

if (($options->feedback && $options->readonly) || $options->correct_responses)

This basically makes "feedback" and "answers" do the same thing, which is only show checkmarks/feedback in readonly mode, which is not what people want in adaptive mode.

I took a look at a couple other question types:
  • Multichoice and truefalse use readonly to disable the form inputs in review situations, no interaction with feedback/correct_responses
  • Shortanswer uses readonly && correct_responses to determine whether to show the correct answer
  • Numerical and calculated don't look at readonly or correct_responses at all
Not much concensus.

I would suggest the following:

if ($options->feedback || $options->correct_responses)

which is also what Cory decided to use in the other thread. This means that feedback gets shown with the option "feedback" in interactive/adaptive mode or in readonly situations with the options "answers" and/or "feedback".

The match code does look like "feedback" is also necessary for anything to be shown, so maybe "answers" still isn't doing anything on its own and that should be fixed, although I'm not sure how to display the right answer alongside the student's answer. That is a separate problem, though.

What do you all think?

-Adriane

av Joseph Rézeau -
Adriane,
Have you tried the hack I gave in my previous post ? It's simple and it does work as expected.
Tim, any thoughts about this?

Remove the condition in line 287
if ($options->readonly and $options->correct_responses) 
Joseph

av Adriane Boyd -
I thought at first that this would show too much feedback in adaptive mode, but I think you're right that removing the if would do the right thing in terms of the "feedback" option. Then, it's more obvious that the "answers" option does nothing. It would be clearer to rewrite the section as:

if ($options->feedback && $response) {
 if (isset($correctanswers[$subquestion->id]) and
 ($correctanswers[$subquestion->id] == $response)) {
 $correctresponse = 1;
 } else {
 $correctresponse = 0;
 }

$a->class = question_get_feedback_class($correctresponse);
 $a->feedbackimg = question_get_feedback_image($correctresponse);
}
-Adriane

(I tried several times to get the silly editor to format the code right, but even with hand-written HTML it seems to eat whitespace. I give up, you know what I meant.)

av Tim Hunt -
Bild av Core developers Bild av Documentation writers Bild av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild av Peer reviewers Bild av Plugin developers
Yes, I have thoughts about this. I am currently grappling with exactly this issue in http://github.com/timhunt/Moodle-Question-Engine-2.

Actually, I think I have finally solved it there.

See http://github.com/timhunt/Moodle-Question-Engine-2/blob/new_qe/question/engine/lib.php#L268, where we have a proper class with documentation of what each $options->field should mean.

I don't have any clear thoughts about the 1.9/2.0 code at this point, other than I don't want to change it unless I am really sure the change is for the better. So, if you are thinking about this, please do summarise what you come up with, but please to test in both adaptive and non-adaptive mode.
Som svar till Tim Hunt

av Adriane Boyd -
The only problem I would propose to fix in 1.9/2.0 is the fact that match (and ddmatch and order) currently ignore the "feedback" setting in non-readonly situations, which is not so good in adaptive mode. None of them do anything meaningful in terms of the "answers" setting. When I have a minute tomorrow, I can open a tracker issue and send you a proper patch for match.

I looked at the docs and it seems like "immediately after the attempt" (definition: two minutes after clicking submit all and finish) doesn't quite align with what's going on in adaptive mode. But people do use that column to control what students see during adaptive quizzes, right?

-Adriane

av Tim Hunt -
Bild av Core developers Bild av Documentation writers Bild av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild av Peer reviewers Bild av Plugin developers
Yes, immidiately after the attempt controls what happens during the attempt too. As you say, not ideal, but the best we have so far.
Som svar till Tim Hunt

av Jean-Luc Delghust -

Has this change been added to the core matching question or should I make the change myself?

I'm willing to test it out if you still need feedback, just let me know.

Som svar till Jean-Luc Delghust

av Adriane Boyd -

I reported this in MDL-24259, but it's not a high priority bug and Tim's been really busy, so I don't think he's had a chance to review it yet.  There's a patch attached to the tracker issue that you can apply directly to your site.

If you have any problems with the patch or opinions about what changes would be best (see my list of options in the tracker report), please add them to the discussion in the tracker!

av Jean-Luc Delghust -

Thanks for the reply, I understand Tim has been busy and I am very thankful for that leende

I will have a look, see if we can apply the patch and add any comment I'd have in the bug tracker.

Cheers!