Increase number of topics in dropdown box

Increase number of topics in dropdown box

by Alice Garrard -
Number of replies: 8

I have a new Moodle upgrade installed. My course is set up with 82 topics (I know a lot). An instructor changed it to 15 and 'hid' all the others. So, in the settings, I went to change back to 80 but I only see 52 as an option. Where do I change this?

I looked under the admin block for 'course defaults' but could only go to 52 there also.

Please help!

Thanks - adg

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alice Garrard

Re: Increase number of topics in dropdown box

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok ..well..first of all, the default setting IS 52 so if your course had 82 then someone in your Moodle admin has coded this in specially -you can't do it in a normal Moodle. You said your Moodle has been upgraded - if you really had the option of 82 sections then it sounds to me as if this "patch" hasn't been upgraded along with the new Moodle. Can you clarify that you had 82 actual topic sections - and not just 82 sections numbered with say, labels dividing them up?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alice Garrard -

Hello

Yes, I had 82 - the courses were built originally in Moodle. When I restore my courses - they always go to 82. Do you know where they made this change?

Thanks

Alice

by Maryel Mendiola -
Alice

the admin is able to change it and keep it as default

(of course we are talking about how many topics a course need)

• Administration --> Courses --> Course default settings

just choose how many topics you want for default in all courses

Attachment topics.jpg
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Alice Garrard -

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The problem is my drop- down on this screen only goes to 52.

http://www.screencast.com/users/adg66/folders/Jing/media/74053dea-f94d-480e-8be4-c782068722b4

Where do I change this. I know it should be something like the Max upload files size changes.

Alice

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Alice - as I said before, 52 IS the default, and if you have been able to use 82 before then somebody has changed it in the code. You can't alter it within Moodle but if you have access to your server or your Moodle admin can do it then I will try to find the way you can increase the topics to more than 52. I can only assume it was done in your earlier version and not carried through to the upgrade.

edit Ok here (courtesy of Larry Elchuck in earlier post) Note it is v 1.9.5 so the numbering might be a bit different now.
The line to be changed is in course/edit_form.php and it is line 117 in the latest version (v 1.37.2.17) of the file for Moodle 1.9.5

Change 52 in
for ($i=1; $i<=52; $i++) {
to whatever you like.

Now that I have found it, could I please beg you to think again about sooooo many topic sections? You must have the longest page in Moodle - and what about your students who need to scroll all the way down to 82?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Itamar Tzadok -
The default IS 52 only because the default course format is the weekly format and in Austraila there are 52 working weeks per year. But all this is quite arbitrary, isn't it? big grin
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alice Garrard -

Honey, you are telling me - this is a coursepack for a text book with 82 chapter. You should see the gradebook --- 3 quizzes per chapter. It is too much , we are redesigning.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Alice