Unit Grading

Unit Grading

by Tara Sirvent -
Number of replies: 4
Hello:

I am experimenting with QuizPorts. I have been using them in my moodle course to provide a series of activities for students to complete prior to class. Typically, I have 3 activities (quiz, crossword puzzle and matching) all created in Hot Potatoes. I upload them into Moodle (we are using Moodle 1.9), create a new QuizPort Activity. I have the following setting in the assessment section:

Grading method: Average
Max grade: 100
grade wighting: 10
attempt grading method: total

I have allowed the students 3 attempts.

My problem is that the gradbook is giving all students 10 points, even if they have missed some of the material. For example a student may have:

attempt 1: 33% - Abandoned
attempt 2: 67% - Completed
attempt 3: 100% - Completed

And their gradebook will read 10.0 points. I would have thought that the grade would have been averaged to 67% (which is 6.7 points). Even if the gradebook throws out the Abandoned score, the grade should have been 83% (8.3 points).

Any clarification on these settings would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tara Sirvent
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tara Sirvent

Re: Unit Grading

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Tara,
I just tried a similar setup and everything worked as expected for me. That is to say, I had one attempt at 78%, another as 100% and my Moodle gradebook grade for the QuizPort activity was set to 89%. (please see attached screenshot)

Are the attempt scores you reported the *quiz* attempt scores or the *unit* attempt grades? Are you clear about the difference?

regards
Gordon
Attachment quizport.average.grade.jpg
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello again Tara,
after writing my previous post I realized I had not set up things exactly the same as you. In particular, I had not set the grade weighting to 10.

When I set the grade weighting to 10, I got the same result that you reported, namely any score above the weighting was set to to be equal to the weighting. There was no scaling. (see attached screenshot)

Looks like a problem in the grade calculation code for QuizPort. I think the averaging is working, but scaling the grade for the weighting is not working. Please give me a few days to investigate.

regards
Gordon

UPDATE: a quick scan of the QuizPort code indicates currently QuizPort assumes that the scaling will be done by the Moodle gradebook, but obviously this is not how things work. I will fix that and report back.
Attachment quizport.grade.weighting.10.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Tara,
I have updated the QuizPort scripts so that they scale the grade before passing them to the Moodle grade book.

Please could you download the new scripts, and see if they behave more as one would expect them to. You will need to initiate the upgrade process (Site administration -> Notification) in order to get QuizPort to recalculate the grades that are incorrectly set at the moment.

You can download the latest version of QuizPort from here:

Please let me know how you get on.

many thanks for reporting this issue approve
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
And here's confirmation that the grade for the activity I showed earlier is now calculated correctly.

Gordon
Attachment quizport.scaled.grade.jpg