Student View of Gradebook

Student View of Gradebook

by Dave Gelber -
Number of replies: 9
I have set up the gradebook for my class in Moodle. When my students sign into Moodle, they can not "see" any grades that I have put into the gradebook. Is there a setting I might be able to change in my course to allow students to see a "GRADE" category?

The gradebook works for me, but it would be real nice for students to "see" their current scores/grades.

Please let me know how to go about making this available. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Dave
In reply to Dave Gelber

Re: Student View of Gradebook

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Dave,
There is a bunch of things that can stop them from seeing the gradebook. (Try searching this forum - you will see similar questions smile)
First question: are you also an admin in your installation?
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Dave Gelber -
Hi Elena,

No, I am not an admin in the installation.

Is this a problem that I can fix? Thanks for your help.

Dave
In reply to Dave Gelber

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Dave,

Are you sure that other courses are OK, and it is only yours where students cannot see the grade book? The issue can be in a lot of places, and there are at least 2-3 things that Administrator have to check.

If the issue happens only in your course site, then go to Administration block > Settings > make sure that Show Grades is set to Yes. This will start showing Grades link in administration block to students.

If they already see that link, but cannot see grades inside, then check whether you have any Grade columns, Course Total or any Categories hidden in the grade book (go to Categories and Items tab ad review closed eye icons).

Depending on Moodle version (before 1.9.8), if you would hide course or category total, your grades inside those will become hidden from students. 

p.s. Yes another thing - have you by a chance overrode the Student role on the level of the course (via Assign Roles interface) and prevented students from seing user report (view own grade report)?

by Dave Gelber -
Elena,

The problem I believe is in the student's role. I told the administrator that manages Moodle and forwarded your response to him. He told me that he will fix the student role so that students can "view grades". Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if it works after he fixes the student role.

Thanks,

Dave

by Jacqui Clay -

Hi,

I am an admin...

I cannot figure out how to allow students to see their cumlative grades, they can see the grades for each assignment but not the cumulative grades.  Please assist.

Take care,

Jacqui

In reply to Dave Gelber

by Edwinna Lucyk -

Dave,

The admin should have the permission in the student role set to "allow" for the "view own grades" capability (gradereport/user:view)

Then in your course, go to Settings and set "Show gradebook to students" to yes.

Edwinna

In reply to Edwinna Lucyk

Re: Student View of Gradebook (now shoing in MyMoodle option)

by Gerry Bolger -
I am using 1.9.+ and have set MyMoodle on screen but only realised that students CANNOT see their gradebook, why? I have set 'see gradebook' in each course to yes, so why isn't it showing, nor is it showing as an option in the Sticky block.

Help.
In reply to Gerry Bolger

Re: Student View of Gradebook (now shoing in MyMoodle option)

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Gerry,

myMoodle page (http://yourmoodleinstall.com/my) should not show gradebook. Usually students have to go to the course homepage and review Grades link in the Administration block. As for sticky blocks - any kind of block can be made "sticky".

Can you please describe in further detail what exactly your students see when they go to the course homepage(s) and click on Grades?