Raw Score on Multiple Attempts

Re: Raw Score on Multiple Attempts

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Drew,
For the sake of discussion, my understanding is that Lesson resets itself with each lesson attempt by a student. Lesson setting has a setting for how the lesson's grade will be calculated in gradebook for a retake.

The Lesson activity is not a Quiz activity. Quiz has a penalty feature with each question and some other features that might meet some of your needs. Quiz does not have a jump feature.

I suppose you could use the jump feature to achieve the result you want. However, you have to realize that what you the teacher knows and sees is different that what the student sees (and is clueless about). And it requires the teacher understand all the potential paths the student can take. There is not a global lesson setting to do what you want (unless you tweak the code, of course). Thus if it is important to you, you will have to plan and devote some time to it. Here is how I would do it in a Lesson.

For example, imagine you had 2 pairs of identical questions in your lesson. Q1a, Q1b, Q2a, Q2b. The student who answers Q1a correctly, goes to Q2a. The student who misses Q1a, goes to Q1b via the wrong answer jumps. Any answer in Q1b will go to Q2a. We could keep repeating this with Q2, Q3 etc. The next thing is to consider your custom scores for each answer in the identical pair of questions. Say you gave a 2 for the right answer in Q1a and a zero for wrong answers. In Q1b you could give 1 point for the correct answer and zero for the wrong answers. This reaches the goal you described.

Since the student is only taking the lesson once, in lesson settings I would set the max attempts at 1.

Now the question becomes if you want them to take this lesson again and what have you set for the retake setting.

Chris