Export student answers from quiz?

Export student answers from quiz?

by Elizabeth Swoope -
Number of replies: 17
I've tried searching the forums and my Moodle support people are gone for the day so I'm asking here.

Is there a way to export the students' answers (not their scores for their answers, but their actual answers) from the quiz module? In the feedback module, exporting the item analysis produces a second sheet with the individual responses, one student per row, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the quiz module.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Thanks,

liz

(P.S. It won't hurt my feelings if this is not available. The feedback module is a better data collection tool for what I need to do than the quiz module is, but the feedback module doesn't have the same type of security, and it's not my course or my decision to make.)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elizabeth Swoope

Re: Export student answers from quiz?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There is a third-party plugin for Moodle 1.x which you can install to do this. Search for the 'Detailed responses report' plugin.

This was so useful that it has been added as standard to Moodle 2.0.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Elizabeth Swoope -
Tim,

Thanks for the reply. There's no way that LSU would allow me to install that plugin so I'll just look forward to it being in Moodle 2.0. As it turns out, the Feedback module is a cleaner tool for the data collection and the instructor in charge of the course is satisfied with using Groups/Grouping to control access, so the additional security offered by the quiz module isn't an issue right now.

It's good to know that we'll have the flexibility to use either Quiz or Feedback for export in the future.

liz
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt B -

Please help. This is exactly what I need. I know version 2.0 is out but I need to export student responses from version 1.9.9. I have looked at the plugin. The read me file does not have much there. It is enough for some people I guess but not for me. The author says to copy files from the plugin to the corresponding files on the server. He is clear that no overwriting is necessary or should occur. Yet, the files he says to copy over are matched by files with the same name in the folders he references. How does one successfully use this plugin?

Thanks.

In reply to Matt B

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello, Sorry for the unclear documentation sad

You should make a responses folder into mod/quiz/report and all the plugin files should be copied into that folder.

Unless responses is already installed on your moodle this is a new folder so absolutely no file should be overwritten.

Here is what you should have

mod/quiz/report/responses

and in that folder :

• styles.php
  • report.php
  • readme.txt (not really necessary)
  • lang subfolder

If you have any problem don't hesitate to ask questions. But you must understand that english isn't my native language !

The most common problem is that during unzipping users create a new responses folder so they end having a mod/quiz/report/responses/responses subfolder and the plugin isn't working.

The other problem is that some users have problem locating the correct version of the report.php file  for their Moodle version and this is entirely my fault because CVS for the responses plugin is not correctly tagged (CVS subversion and git have always been a mystery for me blush)

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Matt B -

Jean-Michel,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I have followed your instructions but I do not see where I now have the choice to download or export the quiz with the student responses. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Je vois que vous êtes en France, à St Etienne. J'ai vecu 6 mois à Clermont Ferrand. En tout j'ai été à peu près deux ans en France et elle me manque. Vous écrivez très bien l'anglais.

by Matt B -

It works now. It was my error. I put the plugin files in report and failed to create the responses folder. I corrected that and it works great. Un tout grand merci!

Matt

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joe Hayes -

Where in Moodle 2.0 can I access this detailed responses report?

Thanks,
Joe

In reply to Joe Hayes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In the quiz, Navigation block -> ... -> Quiz name -> Results -> Responses.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Miro Iliaš -

Dear Tim,

I want to export student answers from the quiz, but I do not see the default export option in Moodle 2.5. It means we have to install third party add-on, right ?

Miro

In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Miro,

You don't need to install any add-on to download the students responses in Moodle 2.5

Follow the link given by Tim: Navigation block -> ... -> Quiz name -> Results -> Responses

and you should see a drop down menu and a button to download the students responses in various formats (CVS, Excel, opendocument, tab separated, ...) just above the table with the results of all the attempts.

download responses

by Ville Pöntinen -

What might be wrong with our moodle? Am I missing something or bad settings somewhere.

If I change language to English, I can download results. But if I use Finnish, there is nothing where the options and button for download should be. 

Screenshots were taken by same useraccount, just changed the language...

Moodle version is Moodle 2.5.1+ (Build: 20130808)

Attachment english.png
Attachment finnish.png
In reply to Ville Pöntinen

by Tim Hunt -

I think you are seeing a case of MDL-37235. There is a langauge string that must be incorrect in the Finnish language pack.

In reply to Ville Pöntinen

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Ville,

According to https://lang.moodle.org the Finnish language page (fi) has the correct string so you should not see this problem (but maybe it was corrected very recently ?)

Anyway, going to Site administration -> Language -> Language packs and and clicking on "Upgrade all installed language packs" should fix the problem.

by Buddy Ethridge -

This is a great feature and many of my faculty users (including the one that started this thread) are enjoying the benefits.  However, in adding the additional capabilities, it appears that we lost the ability to export simple metrics (student, idnumber, Q1: correct, Q2: correct, Q3: incorrect, etc.)  I now have faculty asking for this ability as well, a simple export to csv containing student ids with a list of questions (or question labels) and a field denoting if the student(s) got the question right or wrong.  No other text.  If this possible going forward?

In reply to Buddy Ethridge

by Tim Hunt -

Switch to Quiz -> Results -> Grades report, and download the data from that.