Assignment

How can an instructor upload a student's file a Moodle Assignment

Picture of Linda Raymond-Hagen
How can an instructor upload a student's file a Moodle Assignment

I have a student who e-mailed me their assignment file and I (instructor) would like to upload the student's file to the Moodle (1.97) assignment (advanced upload).  Can I do it?

Thanks,

Linda

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: How can an instructor upload a student's file a Moodle Assignment
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
The only way I can think of is if you have been given the permission to "log in as" another user - which under normal circumstances a regular teacher wouldn't be able to. Alternatively you might be able to upload it directly into the student's ID area of the moddata directory in your course files which holds all the students' folders of that particular assignment - but it's a bit complicate. The third alternative goes against all security measures which is to get the student to change their password and give you their log in so you can do it - then they change their password back again. But I would really not advise that.
Why can they not do it themselves?

Picture of John Black

I assume she wants to manually upload because the due date has passed for the assignment, so the student cannot upload himself.

You can do this as follows:

Go to the assignment page and note what the assignment number is (it's a number that varies for each assignment and is typically 4 digits long; if you're not sure which number it is, check a few other assignments and note which number in the file path is the same for all of them).

Then mouse over the student and get his number as well.

Now, from the class page of the moodle, go to "files" and then select "moddata" and then select the proper folder for the assignment according to the number you found above.

Peruse the folders and see if the student has a folder named after his student number. If not, create it.

Next, deposit his assignment into the folder with the "upload" option.

Finally, go through the normal interface to the assignment page and ensure the student has the file(s) you uploaded correctly listed under his name.

Picture of John Black

I just tried my suggestion above: it works if the student had already uploaded something and you overwrite it or add more stuff. It doesn't work if the student never uploaded anything, however. sad