Course Creator Role

Course Creator Role

by Hugh Abbott -
Number of replies: 6
Oooh, I could do with 60 seconds help !

Just set up a demo moodle site and can't get to grips with roles.

I created a demo biology course. And I am listed as the Course Creator .... but when I log in as Course Creator - I can't edit the course? I can only edit the course as admin ?

I go to add/edit courses - I click on the course and I am either asked to enrol or I am shown the course as a student?

Clearly I don't understand roles ?

Could really do with some guidance - thanks in advance - Hugh

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hugh Abbott

Sorted .... sort of !

by Hugh Abbott -
Well, I've sorted this ... well sort of.

I'll note down the solution here - just in case someone else has this problem (very likely).

If you create a course as administrator and then add a colleague to that course with the role 'Course Creator' .... this does not allow them to edit the course. This confused me for nearly a day but that's the way it is. People who are 'Course Creators' are not automatically 'Teachers' on that course.

If you creae a course as a 'Course Creator' you will automatically be added as the 'Teacher' and so you will be able edit the course. But do not make my mistake ... which was to add a colleague as a 'Course Creator' expecting that they would be able to edit the course ... because they won't !

Hope this helps.

Hugh

In reply to Hugh Abbott

Re: Sorted .... sort of !

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes - Course creator roles are confusingsmile If you create a course as an admin you might as well just add your colleague as a regular teacher, rather than a course creator anyway.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Sorted .... sort of !

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

I had a lot of problems understanding this too. A "Course creator" is a kind of sub administrator: their role is just to create courses not to teach. In a large institution, a reasonably techie teacher can be given this role in a department to relieve the administrator of the chore of creating courses. It doesn't mean they're responsible for the content of the course: that's the teacher role.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Hugh Abbott

Re: Course Creator Role

by Paul Cook -
Hi Hugh, another aspect that confused me was the fact that youi can assign roles everywhere in Moodle. Also good to use the admin panel and permissions to set the desired roles first here and then look at it again as to what you want to acheivesmile Cheers Paul Cook - pcm2u.com