Cross-Course Groups or Reports

Cross-Course Groups or Reports

by Olaf Elch -
Number of replies: 4
Hi all,

I'm not sure which tool would be appropriate for this, but what I need to do is to pull up results from students in different courses in one place.

The situation is as follows,,, We have kids from individual classes in different courses. The kids from one class are all learning English, but are in different courses to match their different abilities in the subject. Of course it's possible to get a summary of their result from the course grade book, but what I need is some way of collating the results from different courses so that the class teacher can have an overview. Quite often we have the situation where the kids from one class are in five or six different courses so having the option to do this in one step rather than collating and cutting and pasting would be a serious time-saver.

Has anyone got a suggestion how to go about this? I thought maybe that some sort of cross-course group would do the trick. Failing that, I guess that I would need to create some kind of SQL query and display it using Calc or Base.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Olaf
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Olaf Elch

Re: Cross-Course Groups or Reports

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Might there be a plugin report module that could do what you want? I am rubbish with grades and statistics and reports so I don't really know what I am talking about - but there is this one http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3366&filter=1
or else this one? http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3365&filter=1
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Olaf Elch -
The multi-grader looked good, but doesn't seem to be able to do exactly what I want. (It solves another problem though - thank you!)

I've rewritten my problem below in the hope that it's a bit clearer for anyone else reading it.

As an example:

You have 3 classes in a year (7a, 7b and 7c)

In each class the kids are put in different English courses according to their ability. (Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3) So each Level has kids from each of the classes.

As it stands, I can get a report according to Levels but not according to classes. I thought of creating class groups in each of the courses and then calling up all the 7a groups for example. this would give the class teacher an overview, but doing this by hand is a pain.

I would have thought that schools need reports according to classes quite often and classes are often split up, so I felt sure there would already be a solution out there.
In reply to Olaf Elch

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Olaf,

I'm not sure if I understand exactly how your classes/levels work but here are my ideas:

Could you make your 3 classes correspond to 3 course categories in Moodle? Then each course category could each have 3 courses (Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3).

Then, you could use either of the reports Mary linked to above (the latest development versions are available here). The latest development versions allow you to restrict the reports to only show selected course categories and courses.

Or if you have any suggestion as to what customisation might solve your problem (and at the same time improve my reports) let me know and I'll see what I can do. I've been experimenting with adding groups (as drop down select options) to the treelike category/course selector as a way of further restricting the report output.

Another idea:

If each class corresponds to a Moodle course then you could make a group for each level in that course and add students to each group. Then when you view the standard grade reports you can filter by group etc.

Cheers,

Barry
In reply to Olaf Elch

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

Didn't understand this really but are you saying you have a single Moodle course for all the classes and you have used groups within that course to indicate which kids are in which level, but you haven't found a way to indicate which class they are in?

If that is the case then just turn on the Grouping feature - now you can have multiple sets of groups (a grouping is a set of groups), i.e. you can have one grouping named 'Class' and another named 'Level'. You can then set up activities so that some of them are divided by level and others are divided by class. That sort of thing.

Not sure what it does regarding reports but if you are coding a report yourself, then at least the data's there for you.

--sam