SSO access control question

SSO access control question

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
(This weekend I am mostly networking as you can guess from my 3 consecutive queries!) I have learned that on the page mnet/access_control.php I can choose who from my Moodle A is not allowed to roam into my Moodle B. (see my post earlier) But there seems to be only one box for me to type in the username - does that mean I have to add each person I want to prevent one at a time? That would take forever -what have I missed?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: SSO access control question

by John Andrewartha -
Mary the default is Allow with (Deny) as the option. Try just setting a course area for your gang of 30 on Moodle a and have them enrol, put a Mnet block in and have them use it. On moodle b export just the one area you want them to play in.
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I am still confusedsad -if I have 60 users on my Moodle A with roaming capabilities then unless I stop them somehow the other 30 I dont' want coming to Moodle B will be able to get in there - however I set it up in Moodle A. (The other 30 go to Mahara)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Andrewartha -
Dear confused,
It is a concept issue. A Moddle using Mnet has the ability to export content at
A Site level (All courses)
B Categories (All or some)
C Course (All or some)
On site by site basis.
You also have the ability to select which remote learner can have access to the export.

You will find it very useful to put myCourses block in all the Moodles and make it sticky to all courses. This should remove some of the "I am lost" frustration.

On Moodle B go to
  • Administration
  • / Courses
  • / Enrolments >> Moodle Networking
The screen is I hope self evident.
Working on first principal of getting kids in to the right areas at the correct time can be like herding cats. Give each group it's own launch pad.

by Mary Cooch -
Hi againsmile No - I am going to give up on this because I still don't get itblush I went to look at the courses>enrolments>moodle networking page. There is only one course on Moodle B anyway so it's not an issue about who to let in. The problem is that if Moodle A has 60 children with roaming capabilities then the 30 I do not want going into Moodle B will still be able to see the link to it alongside the Mahara link. I guess they could roam into it but not be allowed in the course - but I just didn't want them to know of its existence.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Andrewartha -
Dear Secret Squirrel,
The course will be visible to anyone who can network there. When you put the Network block in the Moodle A course area Mahara and Moodle B will be visible. What you ideally want is to import a remote course as a meta course. I heard rumblings of that in M2 but not in Moodle 1.9*.

by Mary Cooch -
Right - well Moodle B has to stay as it is so since the course is password protected thwneven though the other pupils from Moodle A can get into Moodle B they won't be able to access the course so I guess I will have to leave it at that. Thankssmile