Problem Based Learning Module

Problem Based Learning Module

by Souman Mandal -
Number of replies: 17
Hi ALL!

I am a master's student at IIT Bombay, India.
I would like to build a module, which will help to deliver Problem based learning (PBL) courses in a distance learning environment. Problem based learning is a student-centered instructional strategy. In PBL the learning goals are achieved by solving a open-ended problem in groups.

These are the common steps which are followed in Problem based learning:
  1. Group formation
  2. Problem presentation
  3. Discussion regarding the problem statement
  4. Sharing of resources by students and facilitator
  5. Study relevant documents
  6. Solution proposal
  7. Discussion regarding the proposed solutions
  8. Repeat step 5 and 7 to get the best possible solution
  9. Present the solution
  10. Self-peer-facilitator assessment

Though MOODLE (with out any plug-in) is capable to support PBL upto certain level, in an on-line scenario a dedicated module will help to deliver the course in a better way. So after some study about PBL and MOODLE I think improvements/customization in the following are needed.
  • Group formation
  • Permissions in intra and inter-group
  • Resource sharing
  • Synchronous communication
  • Assessment of progress of the group and individuals
I really want to know what others think of this project. So please post your comments, queries and suggestions.

Thanks,
Souman
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Souman Mandal

Re: Problem Based Learning Module

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Souman,
I think this is a great idea. I'm looking at PBL for some of my senior school students. Not too convinced that it would work for them but a module, especially one guiding them through the steps, could be a useful vehicle. Could you use the idea of conditional activities?

Cheers,

Paul
In reply to Paul Ganderton

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Souman,

I really interested too and would be willing to be a beta tester.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Souman Mandal -
Hi,

Thanks Paul and Glenys for your quick response.

@Paul: The idea of conditional activities can be useful as the steps of PBL has some order, like: students in group have to discuss among themselves, before presenting the final solution. Please share your thoughts, about how to make a good use of conditional activity in PBL module.

@Glenys: I will be really happy to know your feedback about the design plan of this module.

Regards,
Souman

by Souman Mandal -
Hello,

Short summary about what I am thinking about the module.
  1. This will be a module which will help both distance and blended learning
  2. Will develop the PBL module as an activity within a moodle course.
  3. There will be sub-activity within this module. Though I haven't fixed about the sub-activities and their order, here are some example:
    • Group formation
    • Problem presentation
    • Discussion about the problem statement.
    • Resource sharing.
    • Solution proposal
    • Discussion about the solution
    • Final presentation
    • Evaluation
Now here are some questions/problems of which I need answers/solutions.
  • How to form group, such that collaboration will happen optimally? (What are the factor we should consider? Like: Age, communication skill, time, sex etc)
  • How to track the progress of the group/individual?
  • How to make student motivate to collaborate? (Like: A message in the student homepage in the PBL module, which will say that average post by user=XX number and your post is = YY number, So if YY is less the student might like to post something.)
  • How to do the assessment? (What I strongly feel that the whole assessment should not be done by seeing the Problem report or presentation. Discussion which they do, resource which they share while solving the problem should have some relevancy.)
  • Synchronous communication: As discussion is a big part of PBL, in a distance learning environment text chat is not sufficient. So I thing integrating voice chat and white-board sharing would be a good idea. (There are plug-ins available for voice/video chat and white-board sharing for moodle).
Waiting for replies,
Souman

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Souman,

Here are some of my reflections on your questions (my experience is mainly with distance learning, not blended):

1. "How to form group, such that collaboration will happen optimally? (What are the factor we should consider? Like: Age, communication skill, time, sex etc)"
    When I've made groups I've tried to make them as heterogeneous as possible as regards : sex, nationality, communication skills, participation, level in the language (they weren't working in their native language), profession, access to the Internet, ... At other times I've let students form their own groups, base on their own criteria. Both have worked well for different kinds of projects. The biggest problem in each case was the students who "disappear" without informing their partners.
  2. I found it was time consuming to track the progress of groups and individuals. I looked at the individual student's reports (on Moodle) to see how often they'd been logging in and what they'd been doing. I looked at the forums and wikis to get an overall impression of whether or not the group was keeping up with the schedule.
  3. I like your suggest of publishing average number of posts to encourage individuals to beat the average. I also plan to use the forum rating system in the coming year which I've never used before. But I think that the most important is to propose focussed tasks which engage their interest and which they perceive as relevant to their studies as a whole.
  4. My assessments are done in a rather unscientific way (my students are very heterogeneous as regards inititial level in the subject). I take into account the:
    • level in the subject
    • participation measured by:
      • number and length of forum, chat, wiki, .. entries
      • time spent on the course (hits on the server)
    • quality of their participation
    • help given to fellow students
    • progress
    • bug reporting to improve the course
  5. So far, I haven't found a really satisfactory video or audio chat plug-in... and I've done a lot of looking and experimenting. It's essential for language courses.
Hope this helps and eager to read others.
Glenys

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Souman,

Apologies for the delay - heavy time of year for marking. I haven't made use of conditional activities but I think they will be big in Moodle 2.0. It might be worth looking at the forums to see what might happen. My idea was that students would need to satisfactorily complete one section before going on to the next. From what I see this won't be an issue at the university level but would be at school level (trying to train them up).

As regards your post, then this looks a good order. Remember, groups can be set within Moodle (see groups and grouping) but it would be useful to specify groups according to project. I can see Glenys' point here. An over-ride for groups would be useful. For example, I've just set a group task where students chose their own colleagues. this has worked well in all cases except two. I want to transfer them and this is easy because it's a hand-written form. In Moodle it would be far more difficult.

Tracking student progress is a common Moodle theme (I think you need to look for progress bar for ideas). I'd be happy with a simple red/green box for each stage. A simple visual system that tells me when they've passed a stage. I'd like that for other ideas as well.

Motivation might be extrinsic to Moodle. However, a post minimum might be useful.

I have longer-term projects and I like to grade each component so that it's like a management task - I train the students in self-organisation by grading each stage (but just a simple 0-10 scale). It would be useful to have a number of grading options for each stage unless you thin k that the item we're measuring can only be done one way. this means the good worker with a poor project gets credit as does the less organised with great work - both ideas needs to be noted.

Both ideas on synchronous communication are great. would love a shared whiteboard function in Moodle.

Hope this helps,

Paul

by Paul Ganderton -
Souman,

just came across this site. Might be useful? :http://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/online-teaching/project-based-learning

by Susanne Lobmaier -

Hi Souman!

very interesting... I work on exactely the same project here in Austria - designing a didactic useful Moodle course for PBL. How is it going with your module?
I would also be very interested in testing your module ;o).

best regards,

Susanne

In reply to Susanne Lobmaier

by Souman Mandal -

Hi,

I am really very sorry for not responding to Glenys and Paul, and I don't have any good reason for this sad .

@Susanne : Thanks for your interest.

I have almost completed the design document of the module and started coding just two days back. Now I am building a module named Rubrics, which will be used for self and peer evaluation in the PBL module. I will post my design documnet very soon.

Regards,

Souman

by Souman Mandal -

Hi,

I have created a Rubric Module. It can be used to create Peer-evelution, Self-evelution rubric and can also be used to create Questionnaire. This module works with Moodle 1.9

You can download from here:

http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~souman/rubrics.tar.gz

To know how to use it see:

http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~souman/Rubric_module.pdf

I know some bugs are still there, so I am only submitting this to get feedback from you people.

Thanks

Souman

by Jeff Mehring -

Souman,

Thanks for developing something like this. I use PBL in my university courses but with Moodle 2.0. Will your module be available with 2.0 as well? I would be willing to be a beta tester if you need volunteers.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Mehring

by Souman Mandal -

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your interest for this module. I will surely modify the code to make it compatible for Moodle 2.0. But it will take me some time. Will let you know as soon as I make some progress.

Regards,

Souman

by Jeff Mehring -

Souman,

Has the PBL module been developed for 2.0? What about your Rubric module? I tried to download them but the link leads to an error page.

Jeff

by Michelle Jimenez -

Hi Souman. Just tried out your module and most of its features are working fine except the discussions. After I added discussions of type forum and chat, Moodle created them but are not displayed in the dicsussion list within the PBL activity, rather those created discussions (wiki/chat) are shown in the recent activity block. Your help will be truly beneficial. Thanks.