"Grade all" option not showing for essay quiz questions

"Grade all" option not showing for essay quiz questions

by Simon Bourn -
Number of replies: 12
Using version 1.9.9

Wondering how to streamline manual marking of quiz/essay questions. I have read in other forum posts about a "grade all" option which I presume allows you to see all the students answers to a question at once, rather than having to open every single question for every single student individually, which seems very time consuming.

I am fairly new to Moodle - sorry if this is obvious, but I can't find a way to do it.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Bourn

Re: "Grade all" option not showing for essay quiz questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
  1. Go to the quiz.
  2. Click on the Results tab.
  3. Click on the Manual Grading sub-tab.
  4. Select a question.
  5. Click on grade all.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kimber Warden -

Is there any way to grade multiple essays on a single student's quiz without clicking on every answer, grading, and saving, before moving on to the next essay? Depending on network speed, this can be an agonizingly slow process.

We use a lot of essays in our assessments and an excessive number of clicks required to grade them is a dealbreaker for our teachers.

In reply to Kimber Warden

by Dina Koble -

Did you ever find an answer? It's one year later and I'm having the exact same problem.  This CANNOT be how they expect it to work or no one will EVER have students use the essay Moodle again after they complete their first set of grading.

In reply to Dina Koble

by Elizabeth Forys -

I agree, the "Grade All" used to work well before the Moodle upgrade.  Is there another way to post this question?

In reply to Elizabeth Forys

by Elizabeth Forys -

I figured it out.  You need to keep going to Navigation until you to;

Navigation > Course > Quiz name > Results This will open a submenu that offers reports on:

2.1 navigation menu showing a Quiz's Result menu links
Then choose Manual Grading and there is a 'grade all'.  The big think is to keep going to the Navigation menu to get there.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

In Moodle 2.1.1, is there any other way to get to this "Manual Grading" page other than through the Navigation Block.  Right now, I have this block disabled.  I have tried to find this "Manual Grading" page somewhere when into the quiz, but can't.

At least I now know that it is available (through the Navigation block).

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Rick,

I don't think disabling the navigation block is a good idea in Moodle 2.1 because there are many things (and not only in the quiz activities !) that to my best knowledge are only available via that block !!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yep, as I experimented with the Navigation block, I have come to the same conclusion.  I am going to turn it back on.

Originally, I think that I disabled it because my students are only in one course at one time.  So I thought "Why do they need this navigation? They see everything in the course anyway."  But now I am seeing some really cool features for students, even if they are only in one course.

Thanks much.

by Amanda Clemons -

I followed all of those directions, but when I click on 'manual grading,' it says 'there are no attempts to show.' However, there are attempts!! There are 33 attempts with 3 essay questions each. HELP!

In reply to Amanda Clemons

by Laura Medeiros -

One of my instructors is having this problem also.

We can get to a visible check of the essay questions but cannot get to the entire quiz.

Odd issue in that this has happened in the first quiz she gave but not the second one, it is functioning properly.

In reply to Simon Bourn

by Randy Wald -
Here is a different spin on this. When you access the manual grading, it gives a list by question # and then if everyone has the same question as question #1 then you can grade them all at once. BUT... what if you have chosen questions to be random. How can I go in and grade all by the actual question rather than the question number, since question #1 might be different for most students.
In reply to Randy Wald

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you tried it?

I can't remember what I implemented there, but with luck I made it work in a sensible way in this case.