Transient - A New Moodle 1.9 Theme Added

Transient - A New Moodle 1.9 Theme Added

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have just uploaded a new Moodle1.9.x theme to the Theme Directory. It's an elegant 3 column (Left/Right/Middle) theme based on Transient a web template by FreeCSSTemplates.

Although it isn't approved yet, you can see a preview...HERE

This new theme has a dropdown menu adapted from CZW-Blue theme. However, unlike the CZW-Blue menu, the menu in Transient is integrated with YUI Menu System.
This new menu draws it contents dynamically from the various categories and courses created in Moodle.

Have fun...!

Mary

Attachment screenshot.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Transient - A New Moodle 1.9 Theme Added

by ebelio martinez -
Sincerely,

Excellent site, only one question when I install the template is left with a white background in modules. How do I edit to make it transparent as the template demonstration?

Thank you for this new template
In reply to ebelio martinez

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Love the new theme Mary - any plans to port it over to Moodle2? (Not that I want to add to your workload! lol)

Richard
In reply to ebelio martinez

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Ebelio,

I am currently changing the CSS to take out the whitish background. If you want to change that yourself you can. Here is the CSS code...

.coursebox {
background: transparent;
border: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
margin-right: 2px;
}

.generalbox, .section {
background: transparent;
}

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Granger -
Hi Mary. Thanks for this - a dynamic menu system was just what I was after.

I have a large Moodle site and I have tried to prevent courses getting listed.

I tried 11. $files = false but found I also had to comment out 79-91 and add
echo '<div class="yuimenu"><div class="bd"><ul>'; to line 77
Otherwise the subcategories were getting printed along the menu bar next to the categories.

It felt as though $files=false would have prevented the courses being listed so just wanted to check what I was doing wrong.

Thanks again for the theme.
In reply to Mark Granger

by Mary Evans -
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately this menu will list all categories, subcategories and courses regardless of if you want them listing or not. It does fade out Invisible/hidden courses, so perhaps you could try hiding the one you don't want listed. However, if the courses you don't want listing are password protected, surely seeing the name of a course will not automatically give a user the right to see the course should they click on the link to it from the menu. They would only get a login page.

Also, since I am not the original author of this menu, I only adapted it from another theme and integrated it with the YUI menu system available in Moodle, you might like to ask Chen ZhongWei who built the menu a couple of years ago. I am sure he will be only too pleased to help you customise it.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Lael ... -

Hi Mary,

I've been trying to get an automatic menu for courses / categories added to the theme I am using. I'm having trouble with both transient and czw_blue with the menus breaking. Do you know how I can make the menu for transient drop down from a single Courses link instead of printing the categories horizontally across the bar?

And... on czw_blue in the comments Ron Brown mentioned (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=2029&filter=1) that after 276 courses the menu broke. Unfortunately the menu breaks for both the czw_blue and for transient when I apply them on our site. Have you had any feedback on whether this was an issue with transient?

Thanks for your help!

Lael

In reply to Lael ...

by Mary Evans -

Hi Lael,

No I didn't get any feedback of it breaking, but then only a few copies of this theme exist.  Those who replied said that it works fine for them. But with only a few categories it does work OK.

This is the same code as the czw_blue but I use YUI CSS to style it. For me that worked ok. But like all things menus do have a limit, first by the width of the page and also the amount of data needing to be processed when selecting the dropdown menu items. After three levels I think you start hitting problems.

I wrote to the author of the theme CZW-Blue Chen ZhongWei but got no reply, which is a pity as colloboration in this area would have been a great thing for Moodle 1.9 & Moodle 2.0.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Lael ... -

Hi Mary,

Thats a great help! Thank you. After three levels... interesting - any idea why or if there is any workaround? that may be the / a part of the problem for us... Need to go check some categories...

Lael

In reply to Mary Evans

by Lluís Gras -

Fantastic theme, but we can't see profile avatars, any idea?

In reply to Lluís Gras

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

User pictures are disabled for this theme by default. You can delete the highlighted line (see below) from the default.css file.

.userpicture,
.picture user,
.picture teacher {
display: none;
}

Thanks

Mary