hotpot newbie question

hotpot newbie question

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

Firstly, apologies because I have hardly used hotpot at all so I hardly know what I'm trying to ask here.

One of our teachers has just created a hotpot quiz (matching right-col statements to left-col statements). When we modify the moodle quiz, there is no assessement/grading options, which means that when the kids do the quiz we can't find out how they've done.

I've read through some of the topics here to try to see if this is as intended, but I can't find a clear answer.

So this is a terribly basic question: Does the hotpot module allow grading?

And if it does, then any idea at all where I might have gone wrong with installation (I set it up around September 04).

Or does it depend on which hotpot test is being used?

Thanks for any help.
cheers
Mandy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mandy honeyman

Re: hotpot newbie question

by Thomas Robb -
The whole purpose of the hotpot module is to allow student grades to be recorded and tracked.

Please install the revised hotpot.php mentioned in the following discussion:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=15061

Also, be sure you are using version 6 of Hot Potatoes, not an earlier version.

Also read this message:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=11706

If neither of these appears to solve the problem, please send me your original .htm file that was generated by Hot Potatoes.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by mandy honeyman -
Thanks Thomas,
I'll try to check this all out tomorrow.
cheers
Mandy
In reply to mandy honeyman

by mandy honeyman -
Well apparently that worked (for the teacher although not for me as admin).

However, he has now made another hotpot quiz and now this one isn't recording grades.

I'm finding it very confusing to try to find out what currently works and what doesn't. Would it be possible to have an up-to-date list of hotpot modules that do work within moodle (I don't know hotpot at all so it's difficult for me to tell which original hotpot he's used and therefore follow through with problems, if I could tell teachers which ones to avoid - for now - that would be a good start in debugging journey)?

JCloze
JMatch
JQuiz
JCross
JMix
The Masher

Additionally, it would be great to know which ones should not be used because they are simply replicating moodle features. (I have a feeling the masher may be one, and I also have a feeling that might be the one I'm now having a problem with.)

Also, current state of play vis a vis versions:
I have used zip v1.3.5 from modules download
and replaced hotpot.php with file attached to forum discussion below.

Sorry to be troublesome.
cheers
Mandy