Quiz underway but (my) error in marking spotted

Quiz underway but (my) error in marking spotted

mandy honeyman -
Atsakymų skaičius: 13
Hello,

There's a quiz underway for homework for a bunch of 12 year olds and I've spotted that for some reason two questions are being marked at 50% correct instead of 100% correct (I stupidly tested wrong answers and didn't test correct answers).

Before I go marching in and try to correct whatever error I may have entered, please can someone tell me if my correcting the error will enable the kids to get their correct score afterwards, and how to ensure that they do.

Thank you.
cheers
Mandy
Įvertinimų vidurkis: -
Atsakymas į mandy honeyman

Re: Quiz underway but (my) error in marking spotted

Miles Berry -
Hi Mandy,
Been there, done that!
You should be fine. From the quiz page choose update this quiz, edit your question and save the quiz. Go back to quiz overview (view 12 attempts link, or whatever it says) and choose 'regrade attempts'. It will then mark their original responses according to your new markscheme.

The only real problems arise when they've tried to be clever and supplied the answer that's marked correct even if it isn't, and thus loose marks under the new, corrected mark scheme.

I tend to post something to course news when I correct the mark scheme like this.
Miles.
Atsakymas į Miles Berry

mandy honeyman -
Thanks Miles,
phew, I'll do it in the morning hopefully they aren't doing their  homework on a Saturday night!
cheers
Mandy

mandy honeyman -
Well I can't see what actually went wrong here. The original set text appears correct:

I still have some ironing {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%to#Well Done!~%0%too#Nope, that's too many ohs!} do.

and

The dogs are not {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%allowed#Well Done!~%0%aloud#Nope, say it aloud to yourself} in the house.

but both return a 0.5/1 result.

Any ideas of what I should do (other than let the kids know that in this case 0.5 = 1).
cheers
mkh

Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mandy,
              first I suppose that you use GIFT import format.

Try that it should work:

I still have some ironing {~%100%to#Well Done!~%0%too#Nope, that's too many ohs!} do.

The dogs are not {~%100%allowed#Well Done!~%0%aloud#Nope, say it aloud to yourself} in the house.

You don't have to specify the  types of questions (  MULTICHOICE  )  the syntax is sufficent  to identify it.

Even if you use all or nothing answers you don't need to specify the percentage, Paul GIFT format will assume it:

I still have some ironing {=to#Well Done!~too#Nope, that's too many ohs!} do.

The dogs are not {=allowed#Well Done!~aloud#Nope, say it aloud to yourself} in the house.

Have a good GIFTwink,

Bernard

Atsakymas į Bernard Boucher

mandy honeyman -
Hi Bernard,
No I wasn't using gift import, I was using the syntax lifted from the help file.

I re-edited the questions as per your suggestion and then tried regrading, (both ways) but still no luck.

Horror: In fact the text ( i.e. I still have some ironing {=to#Well Done!~too#Nope, that's too many ohs!} do. ) in its entirety appeared, the only way I could get rid of that was to edit database directly. What a mess.

I think I'm going to have to stick with telling them that 0.5=1 and sort this out in testing some place else. It's  a real shame because this was the first attempt at using the quiz module and I've failed to give the teacher something "safe". (I'm swearing a lot inside.)

cheers
mkh

Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mandy,
              sorry if my answer was not usefull.

Can you precise your Moodle version and precise what import format you are using or what type of question are you editing ?

Bye,

Bernard

mandy honeyman -
hi Bernard,

thanks for trying, see next reply for my thoughts.

I'm not using any import format, I'm typing straight into the htmltext box that comes up when you go to edit, or start new, question.

btw I was beginning to think that this might have been part of the problem, that there is some kind of conflict between the htmlbox formatting and storing the text (updated) into the db (when I looked in the db the questions in question had more html formatting than the others that were working ok - however, obviously I only noticed this when I had to go in and sort it out.).

moodle ver is (now) 1.4.2. Type of question is JCloze.

cheers
mandy

Miles Berry -
Hi Mandy,
I don't know if this is any help but I've copied your text as a single Cloze question into our Moodle and it seems to work as it should.

For what it's worth, if you only respond to one part of the two part question it does give a grade of 0.5/1, but I imagine you'd have thought of that.
Also, I've not been able to get feedback (other than the green / yellow / red colour coding) to work in cloze questions.
Atsakymas į Miles Berry

mandy honeyman -
Also, I've not been able to get feedback (other than the green / yellow / red colour coding) to work in cloze questions.

Ah, now there I can help. If you hover your mouse over the coloured feedback box you'll see the feedback (which btw is incredibly small in firefox).

To the other point, it's only a single part question.

I can only think that the db has got confused (I did do an awful lot of editing trying to get questions right).

I'll try again on a fresh quiz.
thanks for trying.
cheers
mandy

Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mandy,
               just try yours Cloze questions in editor in couple of differents Moodle and all gave good Marks and feedback without modification of your text!

Here the results of 2 attempts :
cloze3.png

I hope it may help,

Bernard

Dennis Daniels -
Can you post the code/ quiz that provided that type of question please?

many thanks!
Denny
Atsakymas į Dennis Daniels

Bernard Boucher -
Hi Denny,
              no code no hack, just a little more luck than Mandy with your Moodle installation.

1 - Copy the text of the question from Mandy post.

2 - In a quiz edit page choose Cloze type question:
cloze4.png

3 - In question edit page paste the question text:

I still have some ironing {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%to#Well Done!~%0%too#Nope, that's too many ohs!} do.

cloze5.png

4 - Save changes and incorporate the question to your quiz.

Have a good test,

Bernard