Big Blue Button - no notification. Help anyone?

Big Blue Button - no notification. Help anyone?

by Martin Hartnett -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone

Have installed bigbluebutton but get a blank notifications screen when I logon to my site. I think I have covered the really obvious....

Downloaded BBB v 0.70 from http://www.dualcode.com/bigbluebutton)

Placed the following extracted BBB folders and files into my 1.9.8+ (Build: 20100421) moodle site as below

· /mod/bigbluebutton - permission - 755 (folder has 11 files, and 1 ‘db’ folder)

· /lang/en_uf8/bigbluebutton.php - permission - 755

· /lang/en_uf8/help/bigbluebutton -permission - 755 (folder has 1 file ‘mods.html’)

Then when I login and run notifications, I get a blank screen – no errors at all, and sadly no bigbluebutton activity.

Can anyone help? The only thing I have found is that BBB appears to need php 5.0 and my host server runs php4. Is this a possible cause, or a red herring?

Any help, gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance smile

Martin 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Hartnett

Re: Big Blue Button - no notification. Help anyone?

by Jeremy Schweitzer -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The download you used is just for the moodle integration - you still need to steup your own BigBlueButton server - it is very easy to install on Ubuntu 9.04 or 10.04.
In reply to Jeremy Schweitzer

by Martin Hartnett -

thanks Jeremy - I have noooooo idea what ubuntu is - way out of my depth: so I an doingto try latest Dimdim instead

thanks for you help though!

martin

In reply to Martin Hartnett

by Dlareg Dlareg -
Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distribution.
I have a image of VirtualBox with BigBlueButton server.
It's easier when you know VirtualBox
In reply to Dlareg Dlareg

by Noorsingh Chandra -
Hello,

The latest version of the Dimdim Moodle Integration pack is now available.

Here a few things you can do within your Moodle setup:

 Use your Moodle account to start Dimdim classroom session directly, sign up for a free account from right inside your Moodle account.
 Start, schedule and join your Dimdim meetings.
 Use Dimdim audio and video.
 Share documents, presentations and use the Whiteboard.

The Dimdim Moodle Integration pack is available at:
http://www.dimdim.com/documents/Moodle_Dimdim_SAAS_v5_5_Integration_Module_07232010.zip

Documentation on how to use this pack is embedded in the above file.

For more information about the latest pack, please click the link below:
http://blog.dimdim.com/blog/bid/41642/Newsflash-The-New-Moodle-Dimdim-Integration-Pack

If it is ok with you, we could schedule a convenient time to talk about your experience with this integration pack.

Regards,
Noorsingh
Dimdim Customer Experience Champion
Email: noorsingh@dimdim.com
Skype Id: noorsingh_dimdim
In reply to Noorsingh Chandra

by Sergio Rabellino -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, dimdim it's a more complete choice, but it's a commercial solution, as far as i know. Some time ago when we try (and not buy) it, the community edition was crippled to a bunch of simultaneous users, something has changed in the meanwhile ?

best regards.

In reply to Sergio Rabellino

by John Andrewartha -
The A/?V whiteboard issue is going around in circles. If you want to use any of them for distance ed at anything but university/college level you have problems. As late as yesterday I again checked out dimdim and yes the built in browser wont accept cookies. So still no being able to use our Moodle resource to teach from.
Once the people developing the software realise that all education starts in primary and moves to secondary we might get some where.
Primary/ secondary need to be able to use flash manipulative's and other resources in remote sessions, we dont want to have to constantly keep re-writing. We need to be able to use our native resources.
The first to get this wheel from square to round might be on a winner.

John