Timer shows student takes longer

Timer shows student takes longer

by Rusty Hatchett -
Number of replies: 1
This is a very unusual scenario in that this particular student has done this previously, without an issue, during the same semester. She completes her test and then reviews it to see if there are any answers to change or questions skipped. She lets the timer of a 30 minute test run out and the test closes and auto submits. All 6 of her tests have been fine with a grade recorded, yet in this one instance she gets a zero as a grade. While starring at the review with answers that are checked correct, the data says that she has gone 4 mins. and 17 secs over the allotted time. What could be happening here?
We are using version 1.9.5+ and plan to upgrade to 1.9.9+ ASAP. By the way, she is using a DSL connection too.

I have had a similar issue with a student that is using a phone card in a laptop, which is still dial-up to me, where she submits before the timer ends, but still gets a zero. She says that it may take 3 minutes to get the quiz page loaded to her maching and begin the test. Thank goodness their responses are still recorded, yet this is still frustrating to all.

Any notions regarding this would be appreciated. Peace to all...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rusty Hatchett

Re: Timer shows student takes longer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The issue is with the way Moodle enforces the time-limit. The timer submits the quiz at the last second, but Moodle will not process the responses instantly. So we have to accept submissions a few seconds after time expires, and the rule used is that the submission has to be processed within 5% of the time-limit for the quiz. In this case, the submission has to be processed within 4:12.

This is not an ideal system, but I have not yet managed to come up with a better one. Suggestions welcome.