Link a lesson to an activity?

Link a lesson to an activity?

by brian avery -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I can't import a Hot Potatoes cloze quiz into a lesson - that's established, unless I'm dim - but I'm sure that in amongst reams of docs and forum comments I saw that it was possible to link a lesson to an activity (does that mean simply link, or in effect access the activity from inside a lesson?).

I'm sure that the easiest way to do it is to end a lesson, then hope the student goes to the next (correct) activity, except these are directly related items and need to be accessed in a specific order, not in random order.

Can anybody tell me how to do it? At the moment, and it is still early Sunday morning, I can't find how. I've pressed pretty much every button and although my PC complained, it hasn't gotten me very far just yet.

Anybody?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to brian avery

Re: Link a lesson to an activity?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well I can tell you a way but it's not entirely foolproof and I know you are sceptical of your students doing stuff you don't want them to.
Go to the course admnistration block>settings and scroll down and add an extra topic number to your course. Say if you had 5 - make it say 6 and save
Make your quiz in topic 6 and then when done, right click on it and save its URL
Add the URL as a link inside your lesson in a regular page like a branch table
Go back to your course admin page an change the topic numbers back to what they were previoiusly - if you had made them 6 , make them 5 again
This way the quiz links inside the lesson but it is not actually visible on your course page
However as I said this is not 100% foolproof because there is a page "activities" in the breadcrumb trail and if students know about it and click on it they will see a list of activities including those that are not actually visible on the main course page. I haven't found this to be an issue with mine but just to let you know.
Have a play and see what you think.
There is also this in the documentation with an accompanying video - and caveat as above:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by brian avery -
Okay, will play with that.

For now, I stumbled across the link to activity option - which gives the link on the end of lesson page. For now that'll have to do. I'd prefer it if I could remove the other options on the end of lesson page, but my guess is that if I do that, it'd be a universal change and that wouldn't be so good...

For now, at least, I have found a couple of ways to achieve something.

I can provide grammar explanations and a batch of follow-up questions, matching exercises, a crude 'identify the pic' type of exercise (looks terrible but can't work out how to format better just yet) and now a cloze attached to a pre-read text. Can I make a cloze quiz dependent on...?

Next I want to find a better way to incorporate lots of pics into some sort of vocab sheet - test - lesson or whatever. Then we move on to audio clips. That will be such fun.

Thank you for your help.
Brian
In reply to brian avery

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Brian,

Here's an example of set of exercises The Story of Megan's Doll - 2nd version with 2 kinds of vocabulary exercise: matching and a crossword. Sorry, Hot Potatoes again. wink
Click on Preview to restart the QuizPort (or Resume to start where the last "Guest" stopped). You can also create an account on the site and access the course as a "Student" in your own name.

Cheers,
Glenys