Automatic generation of Multiple Choice Quiz

Automatic generation of Multiple Choice Quiz

by Ingmar Evers -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,

as a part of my diploma thesis, i have to develope a software which automatically generates a multiple choice quiz when pushing a button in moodle. The needed Data is provided by a tuplespace architecture.
I have spent a lot of time searching in the code, which methodes i have to call in order to use the moodle code for inserting these quizzes and questions correctly into the database without success. I then moved over to directly insert values into the sql database, which from my point of view, is not very nice and a lot of code.
So my question is, if there is an "api documentation" how to use the quiz module, or which mehtodes to call.
I am using Moodle 1.9.6 Build 20091028

If you need more informations, on what i am doing in my thesis, don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
Ingmar Evers
In reply to Ingmar Evers

Re: Automatic generation of Multiple Choice Quiz

by Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers की तस्वीर Particularly helpful Moodlers की तस्वीर Plugin developers की तस्वीर Testers की तस्वीर Translators की तस्वीर
Hi Ingmar,
There is no such thing as a "multiple choice quiz". A quiz (in moodle or elsewhere) consists of a number of questions. Questions can be of different types : multiple choice (with variants single / multiple answers); short answer (open); numerical, etc.
Can you please re-state your query and explain in more detail what you mean by "automatic generation"?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ingmar Evers -
Ok, here is my project in more detail:

I have transformed a university course into an Ontology. This Ontology is uploaded into a tuplespace. From there, serveral Agents are transforming and preparing this ontology into true statements.
A student now has a button in Moodle for creating a new Quiz from that Ontology. When pushing this button, an agent creates a Question/Answer combination from the prepared ontology by taking a statement and adding x different statements as "wrong answers".
This then looks like a "Question" in Moodle, which i want to insert into the SQL Database. Repeating this step several times should give me a Quiz with Multiple Choice Answer Option, which also needs to be registered in the Database, as far as I have found out by Database Dumps.
At the moment I directly insert this Data into the mySQL Database.
But as Moodle does nearly the same, only Using a Web Frontend to collect the Data for the Questions and the Quiz, i wonder, if i couldn't use Moodles functions for creating such a Quiz, but I didn't get any clue from the code, which methodes to call.

Hope that helps to better understand my question.

Ingmar

<Edit>
What I need to get my hands on is, how and where Moodle inserts Questions and Quiz into the Database.
</Edit>
In reply to Ingmar Evers

by hon wai lau -
What is the ontology you mean and the tuplespace? A philosophy class?

Do you mean something like a set of logical statement:

Q1 => A1
Q2 => A2
Q3 => A3
Q100 => A100

where Q1: something like premise/condition, A1: something like deduction/conclusion

And you want the question be generated like:

Q2 => A2(correct), A11, A43, A55
Q10 => A10(correct), A41, A77, A33

Then bind all question together to form a quiz?

The saving question is specified in the question/type/questiontype.php with function save_question_options and save_question. Quiz just bind a set of questions together with some settings.

In reply to hon wai lau

by Ingmar Evers -
Thanks for your help so far,

no, the ontology is no philosophy class, its just owl Data format.
The Tuplespace itself is a sql space.
One last question about the Quiz:
I have figured out, how to insert Multiple Choice Questions into the database, but haven't found any function for "binding" these questions together to a quiz.
Do you have any hint for me, which file to investigate for this function in the quiz directory?

Kind Regards
Ingmar Evers
In reply to Ingmar Evers

by Tim Hunt -
Core developers की तस्वीर Documentation writers की तस्वीर Particularly helpful Moodlers की तस्वीर Peer reviewers की तस्वीर Plugin developers की तस्वीर
To answer the meta-question "How do you work out which Moodle code does X?"

Look at the URL in your web browser. For example, when you are editing a question, and then click save, the URL is question/question.php, and that is the script to look at.

Editing a quiz is mod/quiz/edit.php.

Both of those scripts use various functions or methods to do the actual work. For a question it is default_questiontype::save_question. To understand what is going on, try adding

print_object($question);
print_object($form);
exit;

to save_question, then editing a question.