Matching questions in Lessons - 'How to' video?

Matching questions in Lessons - 'How to' video?

by brian avery -
Number of replies: 20
Hi,

I can't get my head around the instructions found in moodle docs for matching questions - I can't 'match' what I read with what I see.

Does anybody know of a decent 'How to..' guide or preferably video of the process?

Any help appreciated.
Brian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to brian avery

Re: Matching questions in Lessons - 'How to' video?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Brian,

Sorry, I can't help with Lesson because I don't use it. I use Hot Potatoes and QuizPort. Hot Potatoes is very easy to learn to use and, as I'm not a maths teacher, does everything I want. It won't create classifying exercises, but Quiz and Lesson don't either. Matching exercises are a doddle.

Cheers,
Glenys
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by brian avery -
Ho hum.. another program to learn about? sad

In the past 3 weeks I seem to have spent about 2 weeks, 6 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes reading about software... or fighting with bits of it that done function as they should. the problem is here are gaps in the manuals and help videos I've found. Haven't found one yet that deals with matching questions in lessons, and the one I found relating to matching questions in quizzes doesn't correspond with what's on my screen, so doesn't help greatly.

I have the Adobe suite incl Dreamweaver CS5, Captivate (not had time to open and study this yet), Snagit, Camtasia, Hot Potatoes (yes, I downloaded it last night but so far...) and... and... but I was kinda hoping that eacj task didn't require another program to study!

Then some kind soul I was talking to who works at Bocconi Uni in Milan this week suggested I used the Adobe Learning Suite - reckons it does everything.

Sigh...

Thanks,
Brian
In reply to brian avery

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
What exactly are you trying to do with matching questions?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by brian avery -
Hi,

Well, this is a first attempt. What I'd like to do is as much as can be done with them, but for now I wanted to try some simple sentence matching exercises (match the start and end together) and another for matching images with descriptive sentences.

I figured start easy, learn as you go.

I'm sure I can do a quiz for many of the things I want to do, but I don't want that. I want students revising a subject to be walked through specific exercises in a specific order before they start new topics.

Brian
In reply to brian avery

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I see - that sort of matching exercise (matching sentences and matching images) you can easily do with a Moodle quiz or in Hotpotatoes.Are you therefore choosing to do the matching exercise in the Lesson module because you can password protect the lessons so they can only access the next one when they have completed the first?
If so then I will take a look at the matching questions in the Lesson module later today and see where the difficulty lies. (Hotpotatoes will let you have a matching exercise up and running in Moodle in 3 minutes btw - I did a video of it here http://www.youtube.com/user/UsingMoodle#p/u/13/NzfNpOd5W8U )
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Ok ( I haven't been to the docs - I had better go there now and check this is right) Try the attached helpsheet which I made in double quick speed so no apologies for style
In reply to Mary Cooch

by brian avery -
Bless you.. I'll have a read right now!

You know, I don't know if it's typing on a laptop or whilst connected to the internet or just these pages, but I can't believe how many typos crop up whilst I'm using moodle! I think there's some kind of occasional time lapse between keying something and it appearing, and if you type too fast, something just doesn't keep up!

Grumble grumble grumble...
Victor Meldrew
In reply to Mary Cooch

by brian avery -
Gosh, your questions suggests I have sufficient knowledge to allow me to make an informed choice! I love compliments, thank you.

In fact, I started with the lesson module because I want to direct students along a specific path. I noticed the 'dependent on' option, which makes a lot of sense. Like the conditional activities you mentioned coming in 2.0. It means, if I understand correctly, that students can't play with the new stuff until they cover the revision topics first.

For example, Unit one of the sample English Language course I'm trying to construct deals with revision of the present simple and present continuous tenses, with action and non-action vebs.

Then, that refreshed, it moves on to using those forms during descriptions of typical diets around the world and eating habits.

Then there needs to be a vocabulary section - food types, specific foods (fruits, veg etc) then on to specific food and cooking related verbs and adjectives.

I don't want students meandering through the course and playing with one thing before they cover the requisite grammar (etc).

Password protect the images? haven't got that far. In what context? I don't want students to need a password to do anything indside the course, but I would prefer my images to all be covered by password protection. As the db they are stored in is in my domain root, not inside the moodle folders or my sub-domain folders, I assumed they were protected anyway. But I haven't had time to read up on that yet.. I'm trying desperately hard to create some material for some guinea pigs too use in september when Italy returns from holiday!

Brian
In reply to brian avery

by Mary Cooch -
I don't think I said password protect the images - but password protect the lessons (ie, in a lesson module, as well as making it dependent on, you can password protect it)
I am a languages teacher too (like Joseph though he is far higher up than I am) and I understand your desire to have the students follow a prescribed route in grammar. In fact, coincidentally and ironically, I am writing a book on Moodle 2.0 and there is a whole chapter on Conditional Activities and it is based on a French teacher who wants his students to progress the way he wants because (quote from book : He feels he needs to set his exercises up in a highly directed way to avoid confusing his students. If they skip learning about the present tense and jump straight to the imperfect subjunctive –and then don’t understand it – he feels they might get demotivated. He wants to control their learning path.) So I do understand entirely where you are coming from
On the other hand, you talk about getting a variety of new programs and spending hours working out Moodle in a short space of time - and you are begininng with one of the hardest modules to get your head round (the lesson module) Admittedly it will do as you wish - make the activities dependent on prior attainment - but I really think that for your own sanity (and speed of learning!)you should maybe let go of this "conditional activities" idea and try using Moodle in the way it is meant - one activitiy after the other - and see how your students manage. If you like, number the activities 1 to 10 (or whatever) on the page and say at the start that they must be done in strict number order. So what if a student "disobeys" and goes straight to number 10 -if they don't get a good enough grade they will have to go back to an earlier exercise. (There is a certificate module you know - and you can set conditions on it so that a student can only pass the course if they got certain grades in the tests - so even if you didn't restrict the order of their learning they would still have to pick up a certain amount to get through)
It would make your life -and setting up your Moodle course so much easier if you did it that way. For instance - you could have a step by step "lesson" if you wished, explaining a certain grammar point as your number one -then you could have a quiz (or hotpotato) practising it as your number 2 and then you could have an assignment where they send in work to you based on their learning as your number 3 and so on and so forth... all without actually locking them down. Live dangerously big grin Instead of going around in circles trying to get your head around restricting the students' freedom, get stuck in making them some exercises - it's the middle of August already!big grin
In reply to Mary Cooch

by brian avery -
Yeeesss I know it's mid-august. I can tell because it's raining it Italy!

I only want to lock things down for the first few units anyway, not for all. First because the students will have gone 4 months since their last serious lessons, second because the vocab and structures are matched to the books most of them will have and finally, for a reason not relevant here. Also, these people will be my guinea pigs and it'll be interesting to see how they respond. Most of the ones I deal with seem to prefer being directed firmly...

However, I may just give up for now and try the numbering ploy!
In reply to brian avery

by brian avery -
Hmm.. it seems Hot Potatoes is rather easy to use. Hadn't bothered opening it until now but it's very handy being able to use Italian instructions.

I guess the next fun bit comes when I want to import the questions.
Brian
In reply to brian avery

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Brian,

I'd be glad to help with any questions you might have about Hot Potatoes - but over on the Hotpot module Forum - it's easy to import into Moodle.

I went and had a look at your site www.insegnanti-inglese.it Wow! It looks so professional - I can't believe it's your first site. You're not going to have any serious problems with Moodle - just at first getting used to a new vocabulary and and new "architecture". But you know that already, don't you? wink

Cheers,
Glenys

by brian avery -
Glenys,

Thanks for that.. I think the site's okay, but it's only the start of what I aim to do in the longer tem. For now I've stopped working on it because I'm struggling to get the next bit - the moodle - done first. Moodle's on the same domain name, but at .com instead of .it

Brian
In reply to brian avery

by Mary Cooch -
I don't understand - I keep getting an access forbidden message when I try to take a look at your site and I am sure I am copying it in right - even when I change its name to dot com I still get an errorsad
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Mary,

Works for me fine on Firefox and IE8. I even went to the Brian's Moodle site: http://www.insegnanti-inglese.com/ where I met The English teacher you can take home to meet your mother...

Cheers,
Glenys

by Mary Cooch -
Glenys - Brian -see attached screenshot -really odd... you are both in Europe - is there something against users in the UK?
Attachment brian.jpg
In reply to Mary Cooch

by brian avery -
Yes, I hate the idea of all you English folks browsing on my site. I mean, we don't want to lower the tone, do we?

Seriously, I discovered the fault (or at least I hope I have). I made an error inputting a batch of IP numbers to block and inadvertently used one as the start and one as the end of a block, instead of two individual numbers. By my reckoning I blocked out half of Cheshire and Lancashire!

Thank you for telling me about it - most helpful! Hopefully now everybody can visit without needing a letter from their mother. Please ignore the state of the opening page on www.insegnanti-inglese.com which is just a placeholder. You have to click the pic of the flasher to get to the moodle start page.

If anyone wants to link to it or to my normal html site (the same address but just with a .it domain) please feel free! Google seem to hate new websites and pretends they don't exist unless the Pope links his personal blog to it.

By the way, thanks to everybody who has responded to my begging letters.

Brian
In reply to brian avery

by Mary Cooch -
Ha ha; that's funny - Brian blocked me because I am a well dodgy character!big grinbig grin
I can see them all fine now and look forward to watching (and contributing to ) your progress in Moodle.
In reply to brian avery

Images not appearing in matching question type Moodle 2.0

by Dobby Spencer -

Hi,

I am using Moodle 2.0 and the images are not appearing in the matching question type. All I see are the image place holders. When I check the properties of the place holder in the browser I see a URL such as this, http://localhost/pluginfile.php/47/qtype_match/subquestion/3/24/5/Magazine.gif. When I am composing the question I can see the images in the question editor but they are not appearing. If I paste the URL in another browser window I get a message that the file cannot be found. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Where in the directory structure would these images be stored? If I know I could have a work around by copying the image there. 

In reply to Dobby Spencer

Re: Images not appearing in matching question type Moodle 2.0

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dobby,

Since this is a 2.0 problem I suggest that you re-post your message to the Testing and QA forum where most 2.0 problems are being discussed at the moment. I will try to reproduce your problem and answer you there.

ATB

Joseph