Changing scale in glossary

Changing scale in glossary

by Mayank Madhav -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

On changing the scale of a glossary the existing ratings remain same. If I set initial rating scale to 100 and let users rate the entries the report shows user ratings out of 100. Now on changing the ratings to 50 the ratings would still show same old values.

Similarly custom scale entries are stored as numbers 1,2,3... and represents them as the custom scale words assigned while creating the scale like "very good/good/bad" .The existing ratings of these too would remain as 1,2,3... even when we change scale to 100 later.
I think this would also be effecting the calculation of final grades.

There should either be rescaling of all entries to new scale(e.g. 34/50 to become 68/100) which could be very database intensive task as we would have to update all ratings of this entry in glossary_ratings table or we can deleted all previous entries or mark any old ratings to be shown as "old scale ratings" while not considering them in calculating final grades.

Has anyone else also faced this problem?

Regards,
Mayank Madhav

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mayank Madhav

Re: Changing scale in glossary

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mayank Madhav,

As you have discovered, it is not a good idea to change the ratings scale in a Glossary after users have started to rate its entries.

Your re-scaling suggestion does not seem feasible. The only solution I see it that, immediately after changing your Glossary scale you run an sql query on your Moodle database to remove all previously entered ratings.

When changing the scales in a glossary with already entered entry ratings, the Glossary Edit page should issue a warning and propose to delete all ratings before allowing the teacher to change scales.

I will post a bug report about it.

Joseph