Guest Access option not present in some courses

Guest Access option not present in some courses

by Clarence Prudhoe -
Number of replies: 8

I have two courses, created the same day last January, and upgraded from Moodle 1.9.9 to Moodle 2.0 in June.

I am currently using Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100809).

I tried to edit the course settings to allow guests and could not find the option.  For some reason one course has the option to allow guests and the other course does not (see screneshot bellow).  The course setting on the left has the Guest Access option and the course setting page on the right does not.

Any suggestion as to how to fix this.  I searched the dattabase and compared the two courses, but I don't see a field that turns this ON/OFF.

Clarence

Attachment guestaccess.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

Re: Guest Access option not present in some courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Clarence: in the course without guest access, go to users>enrolment methods and in the dropdown select guest access. Then open its eye. When you go back to the course settings as above you will have the guest access option.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Mary,

I checked users > enrolment methods and there is nothing there concerning enrolment.  There is only Accounts and Permissions under the USER link.

However, under Plugins > Enrolments > Manage Enrol Plugins and also under Plugins > Enrolments > Guest Access, there are settings for Guest Access.  But on my site, these are already enabled.  I disabled Guest Access (closed the eye) and then enabled it again (opened the eye), but it made no change in the Edit Course Settings options.  There is still no option to allow/dissallow guests in a given site.

I also created a new course and found that the option to allow guests is not showing there either.

Then I checked Administration > Courses > Course Default Settings and found that there is no option to allow guests in the default settings list either.

It may be something wrong with my updated database, but I suspect there is a bug in the system.   Could you confirm these findings?

Clarence

by Andrew Davis -
Hi Clarence. I don't have anything to add regarding guest access right now but I just wanted to thank you for the time you've put into improving Moodle 2.0 smile

Andrew.
In reply to Andrew Davis

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Clarence - when you say under the user link there are only accouts and permissions - I think you are looking in Site admin - I mean if you look in users in the course administration
You will have links enrollment/enrollment methods and others - this is where I mean
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Andrew,

I am happy to test Moodle 2.0.  I want to be able to use Moodle 2.0 (mainly for the Cohart feature) so I am helping with the testing.  That is the best way I can help get 2.0 stable ASAP.  Thanks.

Mary,

Yes, I was looking at the Site Administration menu sad.

However, I can't find any setting to allow Guests in a course in the Course Administration menu either.   The only options under User > Enrolment Methods are "Manual Enrolments" and "Self Enrolment (student).  See the screneshot bellow.

I am using Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100809) with the Fusion Theme.  I switched to the Standard Moodle theme and see the same menu options so I don't think it is a Theme problem.

Thanks,

Clarence

Attachment course_settings.png

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Clarence - click on enrolment methods and then open the eye of Guest access . ( funnily enough I 've been writing about this in my book this week!big grin)
Attachment c2.png
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Thanks Mary,

Sometimes I can be dense blush

Here is what I was missing:

On the Enrolment Methods table, there is a drop down box to "Add Methods".  See the Screenshot.

Thanks,

Clarence

Attachment ChooseMethod.png

by Mary Cooch -
Oh yes - very true - I had already enabled mine to test it out and then I hid it with the eye ;hence my different screenshot. According to your permissions, when you enable one in site admin where you were before it will then appear as an option here in the actual course.