Setting a passing grade for a quiz

Setting a passing grade for a quiz

by James Moe -
Number of replies: 11
moodle v1.9.9

How do I set a passing grade for a quiz?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Moe

Re: Setting a passing grade for a quiz

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi James
You are able to set a 'Grade to Pass' for the grade item via the gradebook.

Docs page "grades will be highlighted in red for fail and green for pass in the gradebook"

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by James Moe -
Thanks.

<woe>
A large part of my difficulty is not understanding the terminology and hierarchy of Moodle. For instance, the "gradebook" does not exist as an explicit entity. It is discussed in some places but there is no actual gradebook to be found, only "grader reports." And who is this "grader"?
</woe>

In reply to James Moe

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi James
Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with projects so had missed your reply...

The Gradebook is available via the 'Grades' link in the Administration menu of your course. Each course contains it's own gradebook with contains grade items. Grade items are created automatically from activities with a grade associated (eg Assignment, quiz, graded forum, etc). You are able to create manual grade items for assessment that is not related to a Moodle activity (eg participation). You can also create gradebook categories to contain specific grade items, this helps with aggregation (eg sum of grades or weighted mean).

When a teacher views the gradebook their default view is the 'grader report'. The grader is therefore any user with a role that allows marking. These users can Turn Editing On in the gradebook to enter grades directly their or (my recommend process) enter the grades via the relevant activity.

When a student views the gradebook they only see their own grades. Teachers can see a similar view for a student by clicking the 'User Report' then selecting a student.

I hope this is a reasonable (albeit brief!) intro to the gradebook for you. the documentation is great if have some time for reading, http://docs.moodle.org/en/Grades

With your query if you click the 'Categories and Items' tab you'll see all the grade items for the course. Use the edit icon to see the various settings relating to each item. The grade to pass is found on this page and is used to determine if the grade will be displayed in a green box (for someone who got the grade to pass or more) or a red box (for someone who failed to meet the grade to pass). As far as I'm away the colours are only displayed in the grader report for grading teachers - not for students in their view.

I hope this makes sense?!?

Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Doug Bott -

>>> The Gradebook is available via the 'Grades' link in the Administration menu of your course.

Could you tell me where the Gradebook is? I do not seem to find it where you indicate.

I clicked on Grades:

Then I got this screen:

In reply to Doug Bott

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Doug - that Is the gradebook. What are you expecting to see? What are you wanting to do?

In reply to Doug Bott

by Peter Kupfer -

THat is the correct place. The whole process of assigning a passing grade is quite cumbersome. Why you can't assign it in the assignment or in the quiz is an odd choice. Once you are on the grades screen, click categories and items and you will see a list of activities. Cthe dirt edit hand to edit it and the you will be able to assign the grade to pass.

In reply to Peter Kupfer

by Doug Bott -

Peter, very helpful. Jumped right out to try it and forgot to come back to say thanks.

In reply to Doug Bott

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You may wish to vote for MDL-13831.

There were so many other things to talk about in Dublin that Davo and I failed to find time to talk about that issue, and submit the patch for integration, but there is probably not much more to do.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Moe

by William Michael -

To answer the original question...

1. Create a quiz activity
  2. Open the course lesson/section to which the quiz belongs, where you would be able to "Add an Activity or Resource".
  3. Open the "Course Administration" menu on the left.
  4. Select "Grades".
  5. In the table, find the quiz activity for which you wish to set the passing grade.
  6. Click the setting "gear" under the quiz activity name.
  7. Under "Category Total" click "Show more"
  8. There, you'll find "Grade to Pass" (see attached image).
  9. Set the "Grade to Pass" to your desired score.
  10. Click "Save Changes"

That's it.

Sure is a pain in the neck...but it's better than manual grading.

WM

Attachment passinggrade.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Michael

by William Michael -

One additional note to my post above...

If, in Step 6, the "Settings" icon (the gear) does not appear under the quiz/activity name, you need to click, "Turn Editing On" in the upper right hand corner of the page.

(I couldn't remember how to set a passing grade this evening, only to come here and find that I had written the instructions previously...that's pretty embarrassing.)

WM

In reply to William Michael

by Sebastian Gendry -

Thank you. There is a video that gives a visual demo of what you describe here at