Testing and QA

how do teachers enrol cohorts?

Mary Cooch
how do teachers enrol cohorts?
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
I mean -what settings/permissions do they need? As a teacher I see the enrol cohorts button in the course but I don't get the option to enrol a cohort (and yes the admin has made a cohort)thoughtful

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Iñaki Arenaza
Re: how do teachers enrol cohorts?
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Having a look at the code I see that you can only enrol cohorts defined in a context where your user has moodle/cohort:view capability.

Techers have this capability assigned by default at course level (course context). But you can only define cohorts at the system or category level. So that means that regular course teachers cannot enrol cohorts sad

Whether this is a bug or a design feature is open to debate smile. I suspect the reason it works the way it does is because cohort enrolment can be thought of as category (or site-wide) "management". Then it would makes sense to assign that capability at the category or site level to those people in charge of that "management".

But feel free to open a bug if you think the current behaviour is not that useful for most people smile

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Ah thanks! The point is - a teacher has a button that says enrol cohort - and so if they aren't going to be allowed to enrol cohorts then that's rather misleading, I think. I will open up a tracker itemsmile
EDIT: here!

Picture of Philippe Siwinski

The bug has been fixed so the enrol cohort button does not appear when the user does not have permission to do so.

The question still remains : how do teachers enrol cohorts (created by admin or manager) ?

Have you found a way for teacher to enrol cohorts ? Thanks.

Picture of Sharon Betts

Has this been solved?  If I make cohorts for our district site - the teachers should be able to enrol them as a group.  Is this possible?

Mary Cooch

Ok - I have been playing with this this afternoon and I would appreciate it if someone would check the theory behind this -are there any major flaws? Is it secure; does it work etc?  I will document it if it seems to fit the bill but I just made it up so I don't knowmixed

I created a new role for a category (not site wide) called "cohort enroller" and I allowed the following:

moodle/cohort:assign

moodle/cohort:manage

enrol/cohort:config

moodle/cohort:view

I then gave this role in a category to a teacher teaching courses in that category. They are now able to enrol into their courses cohorts that admin made for that particular category.

Ray Lawrence
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hmm... I'm not convinced that the currently policy makes sense. I've commented on this at MDL-23708. Any additions welcome - for or against.

Hi, the issue you have commented in has been marked as fixed.

Is there any other Feature request ticket somewhere ?

We should have teacher able to enrol cohorts, shouldn't we ?

Mary Cooch

Hi there. No -the issue that was fixed was that teachers had an "enrol cohort" button even though they can't enrol cohorts. That button was removed. They still can't enrol cohorts though.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Marc Miller

Has anyone found a way to allow for teachers to enrol cohorts? without giving them system wide access?

Picture of Bogdan B

My opinion is theat Moodle could solve this problem in 2 possibilities.

1. To be possible to assign a cohot to meny contexts;

2. To add a new permission for example called "Allow system cohorts assign" which allow us to give the theacher permission to assign system cohorts when is necessary.

I hope someone from Moodle see this post and implement as soon as possible one of these solutions.

Wazza

I have added a tracker for this, please vote:

MDL-45904