Shared Glossary?

Shared Glossary?

av David Mark Weiss -
Antal svar: 11
Can a single glossary, be shared by other classes. For instance, I have 10 sections of a class. I would like all 10 sections to share that glossary so I only have to enter it once.

Do I just choose that glossary when I back up and when I restore, "Voila!" it's there?

Further if it can be shared, if I update the original do the other instances inherit the changes?

Medeltalet av utvärderingarna: -
Som svar till David Mark Weiss

Re: Shared Glossary?

av Glenys Hanson -
Hi David,

If your 10 sections are set up as 10 groups in a Moodle course they can all share the same glossary and any updates will be seen by all the groups. If they are each in a separate Moodle course, I don't think it is possible to share.

I don't know why, but glossaries are not included in backup and restore (or I've never worked out how to do it) - they have to be recreated and reimported in a new course. I hope this will change in Moodle 2.

Cheers,
Glenys
Som svar till Glenys Hanson

av David Mark Weiss -
OK, so what is this thing called "Global Glossary"?

I read in my Moodle 1.9 Book

However, you can choose-to make a glossary global, in which case the words from that glossary will be highlighted and become clickable wherever they are in your site. The work done in one course then becomes avalable to all the courses on your site.

p. 258

I just don't get to make a glossary global. Perhaps that is what you meant?

av Glenys Hanson -
Hi David,

Thanks for that - I hadn't realised there were "Global glossaries". You have to be an admin to set them and it means that the words are highlighted in all the courses. This is fine if the whole Moodle site is devoted to one subject. It's not clear if a global glossary can be turned off in a given course. There's a related discussion here.

This is nice, isn't it? I tried to help you and then learnt from you. leende

Cheers,
Glenys

av David Mark Weiss -
OK, so teach me about this one.

How come if I type in Forum I get a match with the entry called Forum, but if I type in 1_Forum it does not match with the entry 1_Forum. It's like the link is alpha only and not alpha-numeric.

Is that the way it is?

av Glenys Hanson -
Hi David,

Not for me: see the screenshot below. The global glossary is on the frontpage.

Took me a while though to work out all the things to do:
  • as admin, Site Administration > Modules > Filters > Manage filters > enable Glossary Auto-linking
  • as admin on frontpage create a Global Glossary: in settings enable > Automatically link glossary entries
  • when creating an article in the Global Glossary, remember to check > This entry should be automatically linked.
Not exactly simple, is it?

Cheers,
Glenys
Bilaga screenshot_09.jpg

av Beto Boton -
I followed your instructions as per your post.
It's for fact that all words that a part of the Global Glossary became highlighted in all coursers available.

BUT, as soon as you click on a highlighted word a popup window shows up with the following:
(words in parenthesis are TRANSLATION or Explanations)

Você está aqui (You are here)

* Life-Coaching Online (Moodle)
* / ▶ Introdução ao Coaching (Course Name)
* / ▶ Glossários (Glossaries)
* / ▶ Buscar (Search)

The definition for the clicked word (Life-Coaching) does not show on the pop up!

In the Main Glossary it is defined properly and set to Automatic Link.

Any ideas?

Regards
Beto Boton

Som svar till Beto Boton

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bild av Core developers Bild av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild av Plugin developers Bild av Testers Bild av Translators

Hi Beto,

Maybe the fact that the highlighted autolink glossary word (Life-Coaching) is actually the name of a course on your site causes this problem.

Could you please try with a more "ordinary" word which is present a) in your global glossary and b) in a text in one of your site's courses.

Could you post one (or more) screenshots showing step-by-step the problem?

Thanks

Joseph

Som svar till Joseph Rézeau

av Beto Boton -
Thanks Joseph

I tried some other words (I've just stared with glossary creation- entries below.)

The same happens. It opens the pop up and IF I click for help for the page inside the pop up it send me to a page
http://docs.moodle.org/pt_br/Especial:Busca/mod/glossary/showentry

which states
Não há uma página intitulada como "mod/glossary/showentry".
(There is no page named
"mod/glossary/showentry").

Thank you
Beto Boton

Here are all glossary entries (bold on words):

Coach
:
O mesmo que Life-Coach ou Life Coach.
Profissional qualificado como Life-Coach.
São profissionais treinados especificamente para este trabalho. Normalmente possuem qualificações outras além das de Life-Coach que os habilitam como tal. Exemplo: Conselheiro, Psicólogo, Administrador de Empresas etc

Outras palavras que serão linkadas ao mesmo item:
Cancelar: Coach Modificar : Coach

Coachee

:
"Coachee" na sua escrita original do inglês (pronunciado col-tchí).

Pessoa que participa como cliente de um trabalho de Life-Coaching.

Cancelar: Coachee Modificar : Coachee

L
Life-Coach
:
Profissional qualificado como Life-Coach.
São profissionais treinados especificamente para este trabalho. Normalmente possuem qualificações outras além das de Life-Coach que os habilitam como tal. Exemplo: Conselheiro, Psicólogo, Administrador de Empresas etc

Cancelar: Life-Coach Modificar : Life-Coach

Life-Coaching
:
Life-Coaching em sua escrita original do inglês.
Traduzido literalmente significa Instrução de Vida ou mesmo Treinamento de Vida.
O Life-Coaching é um processo de reestruturação da vida de uma pessoa para que esta atinja objetivos, metas, um padrão e estilo de vida desejados.

Um Programa de Life-Coaching tem que ser profundo e compreensivo, ministrado por um profissional qualificado com experiência chamado Life-Coach (veja).

Cancelar: Life-Coaching Modificar : Life-Coaching

Som svar till Beto Boton

av Joseph Rézeau -
Bild av Core developers Bild av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild av Plugin developers Bild av Testers Bild av Translators
Beto,
Can you try to enter into your glossary and in a text which will display linked words some ordinary words, i.e. not words which have "coach" in them, since this word happens in your moodle course titles. Words such as "computer" or "mouse", etc.
And please take a screen capture and post it here so I can see what your popup window looks like exactly.
Joseph
Som svar till Joseph Rézeau

av Beto Boton -
Hello Joseph

Attached zip with grabbed images of pop up windows!

This is what I found out about the glossary empty definitions.

The glossary was created on the "front page" and marked as "primary glossary".

I followed the suggestions on this post to have it visible to all couses.( http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=155420&parent=680697 )
That is
Took me a while though to work out all the things to do:
as admin, Site Administration > Modules > Filters > Manage filters > enable Glossary Auto-linking
as admin on frontpage create a Global Glossary: in settings enable > Automatically link glossary entries
when creating an article in the Global Glossary, remember to check > This entry should be automatically linked.

The entries are indeed highlighted in all courses and in the session listing the courses in my front page, BUT a word definition is shown on the pop up window ONLY if it is on the text corresponding to the front page. If the same word belongs to the "Available Courses" area of the front page or the "categories" area of the front page the pop up window comes up but the definition for the word is not shown.

Also when the definition s shown, it doesn't wrap (text) properly on the pop up window size. Can I change window size or assign text wrapping?

I believe the attempt to make the glossary GLOBAL meaning available anywhere in the moodle installation failed to show the word definitions,while it worked to highlight them in the context of all courses etc.

Is there a proper method on how to make the Primary Glossary available to all courses, (all installation) ?

Thank you for any suggestions

Beto Boton
http://brasilcoaching.com/