Matching exercise in Hot Potatoes, checking the answers

Matching exercise in Hot Potatoes, checking the answers

by Päivi Nikkanen -
Number of replies: 8

Hi!

I´m just learning how to compile exercises on Moodle by using Hot Potatoes. I have managed to upload a matching exercise on my course! The next thing: I figured out how to fix the right answers.

But: in the beginning of the exercise, the items on the right-hand side just fly to the right places next to their counterparts..... what went wrong? I mean, I´d prefer the students arrange the pairs themselves, not get them `for free´  like this :D

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Päivi Nikkanen

Re: Matching exercise in Hot Potatoes, checking the answers

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Paivi,

That's because you "fixed" them all. Usually you only "fix" the first one so that students get the idea of what they're supposed to do.

See below for a simple example of how I normally set up a JMatch exercise.

Hope this helps.
Glenys
Attachment 05-08-2010_19-24-09.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Päivi Nikkanen -

Hi!

Thank you for your answer.

How do my students get to know how they did in the matching exercise? I have to get the right answers somewhere, so that when a student clicks on the `Check´ button, he gets a certain percentage as feedback, not 0% as the case is now...

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi again,

"Fixing" doesn't mean telling Hot Potatoes which are the right answers. It knows that because, in my example, I typed in "2" on the left and "two" opposite it on the right so "two" is the correct match for 2.

Here is an exercise for you to try out: Colours. If you do it without making mistakes you'll get 100%. If you do it again making some deliberate mistakes you'll get less than 100%.

Is that clearer?

Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Päivi Nikkanen -

Hi!

Thank you very much for helping me with this!

Do I have to subscribe to this feature (implying the percentage of right answers) or is it included in the free Hot Potatoes application?

Yours,

Päivi

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> Do I have to subscribe to this feature (implying the percentage of right answers)
> or is it included in the free Hot Potatoes application?

It is included in the free Hot Potatoes application.

You question implies you have tried a quiz but the scoring didn't work as you expect.
Is everything OK? If you need more explanation, please let us know smile

Gordon

by Päivi Nikkanen -

Hi!

Thanks god my matching exercise finally started to give out the percentages for right answers!

Thank you for support :D

Probably more questions will follow, now I´m trying to link a video and add a few multiple-choice questions with ot .... :D

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Päivi,

If you're new to HotPotatoes, this page http://www.ewbooks.info/hotpot/taxonomy will show you most of the possibilities for exercise types that you can create. My site also has lots of tutorials on Hot Potatoes including audio and video.

Cheers

Stan